An Illini Place
Building the University of Illinois Campus
An Inventory of Buildings
This inventory, while not comprehensive, includes all major or otherwise important buildings located at the Urbana-Champaign campus.
By design it excludes most parking structures; warehouses, sheds, and service buildings (example: Duplicating/Quick Copy Building); student cultural centers; former houses converted to academic or administrative uses; all off-campus Extension and College of ACES structures/facilities, such as the St. Charles Horticulture Center; and all university-owned housing. Exceptions include historic buildings, such as Mumford House and Taft House, and dual-purpose structures such as Parking Garage F-29 on the east campus that contains a fully equipped and manned fire substation.
The campus has more than 22.2 million square feet of built space; some 13.5 million square feet is useable built space (as of 2015) counted as "assignable," which includes classrooms, labs, lounges and offices, housing, recreation, and so on, but excludes lavatories, corridors and stairwells, atriums, mechanical rooms, and the like. The inventory uses gsf for "gross square feet" and nasf for "net assignable square feet."
The campus has 647 total buildings spread over 7.1 square miles covering 4,552 acres.
This inventory of buildings originated with a database in Facilities and Services; it was corroborated, expanded, and corrected with additional research into the official minutes/transactions of the University Board of Trustees, annual reports of the physical plant, and other building files housed in University Archives and Facilities and Services. Campus records differ slightly from place to place and year to year; this inventory reflects the authors' best judgment as to the validity of any single piece of information.
The authors and editors of the inventory are John Franch, Lex Tate, former U of I architecture graduate student Daniel Audette, and former U of I journalism student Marie Wilson. Melvyn Skvarla, campus historic preservation officer, also contributed.
Listed, in the following order, are: current name; date of build; cost at time; original name and renames (if applicable); architects of record; style; additions and/or major renovations (with date, cost, and architects); and square footage (nasf and gross).
Abbott Power Plant: 1940, $1.7 million. Ernest L. Stouffer of University Architects Office; Georgian revival/modern. Additions: turbine unit 3, boiler unit 4, 1947, $1 million, Sargent & Lundy; turbine unit 4, 1951, $880,000, Sargent & Lundy; turbine unit 5, 1955, $850,000, Sargent & Lundy; boiler unit 5, 1957, $1.75 million, Sargent & Lundy; turbine unit 6, 1958, $1.85 million, Sargent & Lundy; boiler unit 6, turbine unit 7, 1962, $4 million, Sargent & Lundy; boiler unit 7, 1963, $2 million, Sargent & Lundy; conversion to oil-fired boilers, 1971–73, $3.4 million, Sargent & Lundy; reconversion to coal-fired boilers and installation of precipitator and scrubber, 1987–88, $21.9 million, PRC Consoer Townsend Inc.; renovation, 2005, $60 million. Total 8,308 nasf, 194,900 gross. The plant was named for William Lamont Abbott, an 1884 graduate recognized as the "dean of the electric light and power industry" by the Washington Award Commission.
ACES Library: 2001, $21 million. Phillips Swager Associates and Woollen, Molzan & Partners Inc.; modern Georgian. Total 51,710 nasf, 82,742 gross. The Funk ACES Library was dedicated in 2001 to the family of Isaac and Cassandra Funk, farmers and early settlers of McLean County.
Activities and Recreation Center: 1971, $11.3 million. Intramural Physical Education Building, 1971–2008; Activities and Recreation Center, 2008–present. Holabird & Root; modern. Renovation and expansion, 2005–08, $82.7 million as a combined project with the renovation of Campus Recreation Center-East, VOA Associates. Total 174,021 nasf, 340,000 gross. This building is supported by student fees.
Admissions and Records Building: 1996, $6.7 million. Isaksen-Glerum PC Architects; modern Georgian. Total 18,530 nasf, 32,931 gross.
Advanced Computation Building: 1971, $1.08 million. Advanced Computation Building, 1971–79; Astronomy Building, 1979–90; Advanced Computation Building, 1990–present. Clark, Altay and Associates; modern. Remodeling: 1985, $1 million, Isaksen & Matzdorff; 1991, $2.7 million, Isaksen, Matzdorff, Glerum; addition, 2001, $6 million, Holabird & Root. Total 22,628 nasf, 45,346 gross.
Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory A: 1913, $25,000. Locomotive Testing Lab, 1913–44; Aeronautical Engineering Laboratory, 1944–50; Aeronautical Engineering Lab A, 1950–present. W.C. Zimmerman; industrial. Total 8,905 nasf, 10,443 gross. This laboratory was constructed as part of the building program for the Department of Railroad Engineering; others in this project were Aeronautical Engineering Lab B and the Transportation Building.
Agricultural Bioprocess Laboratory: 1925, $200,000. Dairy Manufactures Building, 1925–86, Agricultural Bioprocess Laboratory, 1986–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Renovation: 1988, $1.2 million, Robert P. Simon Associates with Bradley, Likins, Dillow, Drayton. Total 14,963 nasf, 24,281 gross. This is the least significant Charles A. Platt building on campus. Connected to the Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory in 2016.
Agricultural Engineering Sciences Building: 1983, $11.2 million. Helmut Jahn of Murphy/Jahn; postmodern. Total 57,247 nasf, 103,567 gross. This building has two lawn sculptures: Auroral by Bruce White on the west and Agronaut III by Edward McCullough on the north.
Alice Campbell Alumni Center: 2006, $16.1 million. BLDD Architects; modern Georgian. Total 21,966 nasf, 63,003 gross.
Altgeld Hall: 1896, $160,000. Library, 1896–26; Law Building, 1926–40; Altgeld Hall, 1940–present. Nathan C. Ricker and James M. White; Romanesque revival. Additions: 1914, $34,739; 1919; $73,000; 1925, $90,000; all James M. White. Remodeling: 1927, $35,000, James M. White; addition/remodeling, 1957, $494,000; bell installation, 1920, $14,000, McShane Bell Foundry Company. Total 44,024 nasf, 79,720 gross. This is one of a set of buildings at Illinois state universities named for Gov. John Peter Altgeld and is the only Altgeld building not Tudor-Gothic.
Animal Sciences Laboratory: 1952, $2.5 million. Shaw, Naess & Murphy; modern. Addition/remodeling: 1991–93, $17.5 million, Phillips Swager Associates. Total 80,746 nasf, 138,490 gross. A stainless steel sculpture of domesticated animals titled Origins by 1971 alumnus Preston Jackson decorates the south exterior entryway.
Architecture Annex: 1907, $33,000. Farm Mechanics Building, 1907–32; Agricultural Engineering Building, 1932–98; Art-East Annex-Studio 1, 1998–2014; Architecture Annex, 2014–present. Seth Justin Temple and James M. White; Jacobean revival. Additions: 1911, $8,500; 1924, $15,000; 1928, $5,619; all James M. White. Total 34,317 nasf, 47,836 gross. The building had a penthouse until the 1911 addition.
Architecture Building: 1928, $493,000. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Total 48,037 nasf, 73,846 gross. The Architecture Building was the long-time headquarters of the School of Architecture, the second-oldest in the nation.
Armory: 1914, $229,119. W. C. Zimmerman; Georgian revival. Additions: outer section of classrooms, 1925–27, $425,000, Charles A. Platt and James M. White; east addition, 1962, $378,000, Clark, Daily & Dietz; west addition/remodeling: 1963, $962,263, Clark, Daily & Dietz. Total, 141,556 nasf, 220,863 gross. As many as fifteen hundred members of the Student Army Training Corps used the Armory as a barracks during World War I.
Art and Design Building: 1961, $1.95 million. Fine and Applied Arts Building, 1961–78; Art and Design Building, 1978–present. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Total 47,777 nasf, 75,077 gross. This was one of the buildings Richardson was contracted to design after resigning from a faculty position in the mid-1950s to start a private practice.
Astronomy Building: 1990, $2.25 million. Bradley, Likins, Dillow and Drayton (now BLDD); modern. Total 12,565 nasf, 19,169 gross. The board of trustees approved a new building for the Astronomy Department, so the National Center for Supercomputing Applications could use the original Astronomy Building.
Atkins Tennis Center/Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex: Atkins: 1991, $5.2 million. Unteed, Scaggs, Nelson, Ltd.; modern. Kahn addition: interior renovation and twelve outdoor courts, 2007–09, $6.4 million as a combined project with Eichelberger Field expansion; Bailey Edward Design. Total 49,516 nasf, 61,002 gross.
Atmospheric Sciences Building: 1987, $1 million. Rettberg-Gruber Architects Inc.; modern. Total 7,379 nasf, 11,328 gross.
Beckman Institute: 1989, $52 million. Alternate name: Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology. Ralph Youngren of Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates; modern neo-Georgian. Total 187,090 nasf, 329,192 gross. This is the second-largest building on campus, after the Main Library. It was built on the site of the university's first building, demolished in 1881, and Illinois Field; the institute terminates the campus's north-south axis at the north.
Bevier Hall: 1956, $3.85 million. Naess and Murphy; modern. Total 91,357 nasf, 157,191 gross. This building was named for Isabel Bevier, head of the Home Economics Department from 1900 to 1921.
Bielfeldt Athletic Administration Building: 1996, $7.2 million. OWP&P; modern. Total 24,448 nasf, 40,084 gross.
Burnsides Research Laboratory: 1963, $900,000. Glenn G. Frazier & Associates; modern. Total 13,544 nasf, 23,943 gross. Ethel Burnsides, a registered nurse from Paris, Illinois, who inherited a fortune in oil and farmland, donated $250,000 for the lab and put aside $25,000 to $30,000 per year for its upkeep. Her generosity began with a $6,000 donation to U of I professor Fred Kummerow through the Illinois Heart Association. The endowment still operates; Kummerow continued to do research past the age of one hundred.
Burrill Hall: 1959, $4.7 million. Holabird & Root; modern. Addition: 1972, $1.9 million, Fugard, Orth & Associates; annex, 1986, $750,000, Rettberg-Gruber. Total 105,297 nasf, 178,640 gross. This building was named for botanist Thomas Jonathan Burrill, who was also U of I president (1891–1894).
Business Instructional Facility: 2008, $62 million. Phillips Swager Associates with Cesar Pelli & Associates; modern. Total 82,058 nasf, 162,250 gross. This building was designed by Argentinean-born alumnus Cesar Pelli and his son, Rafael, to meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards for energy conservation and is the first LEED building on campus.
Campbell Hall for Public Telecommunication: 1999, $9.6 million. VOA Associates Architects; modern. Total 25,411 nasf, 40,731 gross. Richmond Studio, a broadcast journalism teaching studio, is part of the public telecommunications building, which houses WILL radio and TV, now called Illinois Public Media.
Campus Recreation Center—East: 1989, $1.6 million. Satellite Recreation Facility, 1989–91; Campus Recreation Center—East, 1991–present. Isaksen, Matzdorff, Glerum & Associates; modern. Additions: 1992, $660,000, Isaksen, Matzdorff, Glerum & Associates; 2003–05, $82.7 million as a combined project with the renovation of the Activities and Recreation Center, VOA Associates. Total 73,843 nasf, 105,372 gross. The aquatic facility at CRCE includes a 435-square-foot "wet meeting room."
Ceramics Building: 1916, $132,500. James M. White and C. L. Gustafson with James B. Dibelka; Renaissance revival. Total 30,887 nasf, 54,017 gross. The Ceramics Building was paid for from the proceeds of a mill tax appropriated by the 49th General Assembly.
Ceramics Kiln House: 1912, $25,000 (includes cost of Mining Laboratory). W. C. Zimmerman. Total 8,513 nasf, 15,703 gross. Illinois was the fourth state to support a Ceramics Department, following New Jersey, New York, and Ohio.
Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory: 1996, $61 million. Ralph Johnson of Perkins & Will; modern. Total 105,221 nasf, 231,376 gross. A sky bridge crosses California Street and connects a wing for the Department of Chemistry with another for the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology.
Chemistry Annex: 1930, $335,000. James M. White; Georgian/art deco. Total 30,239 nasf, 42,466 gross. This building is linked to Davenport Hall. A $24.9 million addition is expected to be completed in 2016.
Chez Family Foundation Center for Wounded Veterans in Higher Education: 2015, $14 million. LCM Architects. Total 30,183 nasf, 32,000 gross. The Chez Family Foundation contributed $6 million for this project.
Child Development Laboratory: 1956, $595,000. Naess and Murphy; modern. Total 19,172 nasf, 29,745 gross.
Children's Research Center: 1967, $1.2 million. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; modern. Total 25,814 nasf, 46,806 gross.
Christopher Hall: 2006, $9.7 million. Booth Hansen; modern. Total 13,298 nasf, 34,703 gross. The building was made possible by a gift from Doris Kelley Christopher, 1967 graduate who founded The Pampered Chef, and her husband, Jay W. Christopher.
Civil Engineering Hydrosystems Laboratory: 1970, $4.15 million. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates, with Berger, Kelley, Unteed & Associates; modern. Total 21,091 nasf, 31,870 gross. This building was financed by the Illinois Building Authority and a grant from the National Science Foundation; it was part of a phased development of civil engineering buildings begun in 1962.
Coble Hall: 1913, $65,000. YWCA (McKinley Hall) 1913–66, sold to U of I and in 1969 became Coble Hall. Renaissance revival. Addition: 1924. Total 18,011 nasf, 28,176 gross. U.S. Sen. William McKinley contributed $35,000 ($15,000 as loan) to build the YWCA building, which was across the street from the YMCA (now Illini Hall), for which McKinley donated $30,000.
College of Fine and Applied Arts Design Research Laboratory: 1968. Building Research Council Building, 1968–2014; College of Fine and Applied Arts Design Research Laboratory, 2014–present. Paul E. Dixon and faculty members known as Small Homes Council Architects; modern. Total 5,820 nasf, 8,153 gross. The original Small Homes Council began in 1944 and worked on meeting postwar demand for affordable housing.
College of Fine and Applied Arts Performing Arts Annex: 1905, $17,000. Agronomy Field Laboratory, 1905–32; Agronomy Storehouse, 1932–67; Forest Science Laboratory, 1967–98; Art—East Annex—Studio 2, 1998–2014; College of Fine and Applied Arts Performing Arts Annex, 2014–present. Seth Justin Temple and James M. White; Jacobean revival. Total 7,891 nasf, 12,168 gross.
Colonel Wolfe School: 1905, $14,943. Spencer & Temple; Georgian revival. Remodeling, 1966, $198,000, Smith, Seaton & Olach. Total 9,992 nasf, 16,308 gross. The university acquired the building from the Champaign School District in 1965; it is now used by the College of Education.
Computing Applications Building: 1950, $300,000. Water Resources Building, 1950–86; Computing Applications Building, 1986–present. Royer & Davis; modern. West addition: 1965, $725,000, Berger, Kelley, Unteed & Associates; remodeling: 1986, $967,900, Isaksen & Matzdorff. Total 25,224 nasf, 42,529 gross. This is one of three buildings on campus used by the National Center for Supercomputing Applications.
Coordinated Science Laboratory: 1992, $15.42 million. Computer and Systems Research Laboratory, 1992–2001; Coordinated Science Laboratory, 2001–present. VOA Associates with Smith, Hinchman & Grylls Associates; modern neo-Georgian. Total 77,875 nasf, 124,008 gross. The state provided $10 million for this building; the College of Engineering financed the rest.
Dairy Experimental Round Barns: 1907, 1908, 1910, 1911, 1912, and 1913. Barns #1 and #2 are each sixty feet in diameter on two oversized stories; Barn #3 is seventy feet in diameter on two stories with basement and attached rectangular wing. Barn #1 estimated to cost $3,600 in Agriculture Experiment Station Bulletin No. 143. Wilber J. Fraser, head of the Department of Dairy Husbandry from 1902 to 1913, believed the shape of round barns made them low maintenance, labor efficient, and better able to withstand prairie winds. He, James M. White, and Kell and Bernard are credited as designers and engineers.
Dance Studio: 1988, $500,000. Architectural Spectrum; total 5,333 nasf, 7,592 gross.
Davenport Hall: 1900, $165,000. Agricultural Building, 1900–46; Davenport Hall 1946–present. Joseph C. Llewellyn; Renaissance classical. Minor additions: 1908, 1912, 1916, $25,325 total, James M. White. Total 60,027 nasf, 110,943 gross. On January 26, 1916, the Illinois Agriculture Association was founded in this building.
David Kinley Hall: 1925, $500,000. New Commerce Building, 1925–46; David Kinley Hall, 1946–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Total 48,333 nasf, 80,773 gross. Named for David Kinley, president of the university from 1920 to 1930.
Demirjian Indoor Golf Facility and Lauritsen/Wohlers Outdoor Practice Facility: Demirjian: 2007, $5.07 million. RATIO Architects; modern. Total 14,050 nasf, 14,150 gross. Lauritsen/Wohlers: 2015. Jeff Brauer, golf course architect. Twenty-four acres of target fairways, greens, bunkers.
Digital Computer Lab: 1958, $380,000. A. Epstein and Sons; modern. Additions: 1964, $476,000, A. Epstein and Sons; 1966, $1.5 million, A. Epstein and Sons; 1990, $18.5 million, Holabird & Root. Renovation: 1991, $1 million, Holabird & Root. Total 109,375 nasf, 195,280 gross.
Early Child Development Laboratory: 2003, $5.2 million overall project, $2.04 million for building. BLDD Architects; modern. Total 15,152 nasf, 23,182 gross.
Education Building: 1964, $3.3 million. A. Richard Williams with Lundeen and Hilfinger; modern. Total 52,798 nasf, 91,952 gross. The building's red brick and limestone tie it to the Georgian revival buildings nearby, an architectural style Williams broadly criticized.
Eichelberger Field and Martin Softball Complex: Eichelberger: 2001, $2 million. JJR Incorporated; Martin Complex addition: $1 million for permanent press box, locker rooms, clubhouse, 2007–09, as part of $6.4 million in a combined project with expansion of the Atkins Tennis Center, Bailey Edward Design.
Electrical and Computer Engineering Building: 2014, $95 million. SmithGroupJJR; modern. Total 121,060 nasf, 230,000 gross. Built as "net zero" with an array of photovoltaic cells and a chilled-beam system to minimize its carbon footprint.
Engineering Hall: 1894, $162,278. Engineering Hall, 1894–49; Civil Engineering Hall, 1949–65; Engineering Hall, 1965–present. George Wesley Bullard; Renaissance revival. Renovation, 1998–2000, $15.3 million, A. Epstein and Sons International Inc. Total 44,566 nasf, 93,189 gross. Engineering Hall was designed and built by Bullard, 1882 graduate, who won a design contest open only to university students and graduates.
Engineering Sciences Building: 1963, $202,000. Coordinated Science Laboratory, 1963–93; Engineering Sciences Building, 1993–present. Kruegel, Healy & Moore; modern. Additions: 1965, $460,000, Kruegel, Healy & Moore; 1967, $1.1 million, Kruegel, Healy & Moore. Renovation: 1995, $3.5 million, Henneman, Raufeisen and Associates. Total 60,043 nasf, 107,774 gross. NASA funded the second phase of the building's construction.
English Building: 1905, $80,000. Woman's Building, 1905–46; Bevier Hall, 1946–56; English Building, 1956–present. McKim, Mead and White; neoclassical/Georgian revival. Additions: east addition 1, 1913, $136,308, W. C. Zimmerman; east addition 2, 1924, $85,000, James M. White. Remodeling: 1981, $1.5 million, Bazzell-Phillips & Associates; 1991, $1.9 million, Rettberg-Gruber. Total 67,894 nasf, 121,013 gross.
Everitt Laboratory: 1949, $1.6 million. Electrical Engineering Building, 1949–87; Everitt Electrical and Computer Engineering Lab, 1987–present. Graham, Anderson, Probst & White; modern Georgian. Addition: fourth floor, 1963, $1.3 million, Graham, Anderson, Probst & White. Total 72,684 nasf, 122,205 gross. Major remodel and addition: 2016–18, $55 million, architect-engineer BSA LifeStructures.
Flagg Hall: 1953, $1.2 million. Was called Flagg House. Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; modern. Total 29,521 nasf, 46,933 gross. Flagg Hall was named for Willard Cutting Flagg, the first secretary of the board of trustees 1867–78, a Yale graduate and horticulturist.
Foellinger Auditorium: 1907, $135,788. University Auditorium, 1907–85; Foellinger Auditorium, 1985–present. Clarence H. Blackall; Beaux-Arts classical. Repairs and new seating, 1937–38, $55,000. Remodeling, 1953, $111,000. Renovation and expansion, 1985, $4.7 million, Walker Johnson of Holabird & Root. Total 27,607 nasf, 51,766 gross. The siting of the building created the main Quadrangle and set the north-south axis of the campus.
Foreign Languages Building: 1971, $5.2 million. Holabird & Root; modern. Total 68,451 nasf, 117,715 gross. The Natural History Survey Lab and the Agronomy annex and greenhouse were demolished to make room for this last building on the central Quad.
Fred H. Turner Student Services Building: 1963, $1.35 million. Student Services Center, 1963–79; Fred H. Turner Student Services Building, 1979–present (renamed in 1979 for Fred H. Turner, dean of students 1943–66). Perkins & Will; modern. Total 24,410 nasf, 41,265 gross.
Freer Hall: 1931, $311,000. Woman's Gymnasium, 1931–68; Louise Freer Hall, 1968–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Addition/pool, 1971, $1.9 million, Spangler, Beall, Salogga & Bradley associated with John F. Sweetnam. Total 53,214 nasf, 93,932 gross; U of I trustees in early 2015 approved $14 million project to fill in the pool and renovate the addition to create 19,780 gross square feet. LCM Architects. The building was named for Louise Freer, head of the women's physical education department for thirty-four years.
Geological Survey Laboratory: 1940, $95,000. State Supervising Architect C. Herrick Hammond; Georgian revival. Total 7,984 nasf, 12,938 gross.
Grainger Engineering Library Information Center: 1994, $34 million. Evans Woollen of Woollen, Molzan and Partners Inc.; modern Georgian/revival. Total 88,317 nasf, 126,838 gross.
Gregory Hall: 1940, $885,711. Ernest L. Stouffer of University Architects Office; Georgian revival. Total 68,103 nasf, 110,757 gross. Named for John Milton Gregory, the university's first president (1867–1880).
Harding Band Building: 1958, $870,000. Band Building, 1958–74; Albert A. Harding Band Building, 1974–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of University Architects Office; modern with Georgian revival details. Total 15,144 nasf, 27,840 gross. The Harding Band Building was the first designed specifically for use by a university band department.
Harker Hall: 1878, $40,000. Chemical Laboratory 1878–1902; Law Building, 1902–27; Old Law Building, 1927–29; Entomology Building, 1929–41; Oliver A. Harker Hall, 1941–present. Nathan Ricker and John M. Van Osdel; Second Empire. Rebuilt after lightning strike, 1896, $9,180, James M. White; renovated for College of Law, 1902, $8,000, James M. White; remodeled for Entomology Department, 1927, James M. White; remodeled, 1950, $4,650; restored for use by the University of Illinois Foundation, 1993, $5.5 million, Walker Johnson of Holabird & Root with BLDD Architects. Total 21,395 nasf, 33,189 gross.
Henry Administration Building: 1912, $101,326. College of Commerce and Business Administration, 1912–26; Administration Building, 1926–87; David Dodds Henry Administration Building, 1987–present. W. C. Zimmerman; Chicago commercial. Additions: west addition, 1915, $160,000, James B. Dibelka; south addition, 1964, $1.8 million, Spangler, Beall, Salogga & Bradley associated with John F. Sweetnam. Total 81,686 nasf, 164,173 gross. This building houses the offices of the president, other executive officers, and the board of trustees, plus classrooms; dedicated to university's twelfth president.
Horticulture Field Laboratory: 1923, $240,000. Holabird & Roche; Georgian revival. Total 30,397 nasf, 46,557 gross. Now used by the Student Life and Culture Archival Program of the University Archives and the Public Service Archaeology and Architecture Program, the building fronts a meadow once planned as gardens and now planted as natural prairie. It is just east of the President's House and gardens.
Huff Hall: 1926, $515,000. Men's Gymnasium or New Gymnasium, 1926–37; George Huff Gymnasium, 1937–84; George Huff Hall, 1984–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. South addition: 1927, $225,000, Charles A. Platt and James M. White; north addition Khan annex: $15 million, 2009–12, RATIO Architects. Total 100,324 nasf, 160,668 gross. Huff Hall was the home of the varsity men's basketball team from 1926 to 1963.
Ice Arena: 1931, $338,000. Holabird & Root; Georgian revival. Renovation: 1987, $2.7 million, Ferry and Walton Architects; new ceiling and floor, 1997, $1.25 million, Henneman, Raufeisen and Associates. Total 31,816 nasf, 51,681 gross. The Ice Arena was used by the Chicago Blackhawks as a training facility in the 1930s and 1940s. It also was used as a publishing house for Time Inc. (1943–45) and now is part of Campus Recreation.
Illini Hall: 1908, $107,500 (cost of building only: $78,000). YMCA Building, 1908–17; Union Building, 1919–41; Illini Hall 1941–present. Elizabethan revival. Total 23,698 nasf, 40,820 gross. Illini Hall adds to the "edge" effect along Wright Street in which an architecturally mixed array of buildings is set close to the sidewalk.
Illini Union: 1941, $1.5 million. Howard Cheney with Ernest Stouffer and John C. Leavell; Georgian revival. Additions: south, 1962, $6.9 million, Jameson and Harrison with Eggers & Higgins; enclosed south patio to create the Courtyard Café, 1993, $2.6 million, Severns, Reid & Associates. Total 169,343 nasf, 304,971 gross. The Illini Union houses student activities space, food and entertainment areas, and a small hotel.
Illini Union Bookstore: 1994, $13.8 million. Preconstruction name: Campus Bookstore; Illini Union Bookstore, 1994–present. Percy "Rebel" Roberts of VOA Associates Inc.; modern. Total 64,115 nasf, 96,407 gross.
Illinois Field: baseball: 1987, $1.9 million; Heery-FABRAP; clubhouse addition, $800,000. The fenced ball diamond stands on Florida Avenue; it replaced venerable Illinois Field on University Avenue, site of the Beckman Institute.
Illinois Simulator Laboratory, Beckman Institute: 1997, $2.26 million. Ralph Hahn and Associates. Total 11,302 nasf, 15,427 gross. The center began as the Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Laboratory, founded by Paul Lauterbur, who won the 2003 Nobel Prize in medicine for inventing magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Institute for Genomic Biology, Carl R. Woese: 2006, $75 million. CUH2A; modern Georgian revival. Total 102,268 nasf, 264,866 gross. Each research area is housed in a thematic lab module: biology, bioengineering or chemistry, and bioinformatics. The building was renamed the Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology in 2014.
Institute of Government and Public Affairs: 1992, $1.8 million. Bradley, Likins, Dillow, Drayton; modern Georgian. Total 7,540 nasf, 13,526 gross. Faculty at the institute, drawn from all three campuses, explore issues of state and national importance, such as tax policy, government, and health.
Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory: Expected 2017–18, $24.9 million. Bailey Edward Design, modern. Total [est.] 30,000, nasf, 42,231 gross. Connected to the east side of the Agricultural Bioprocessing Laboratory, a modest 1925 Platt building. Originally slated for completion in 2016, construction on this lab was delayed more than a year when state funds dried up. Cost expected to rise.
International Studies Building: 1991, $3.4 million. Bradley, Likins, Dillow, Drayton; modern Georgian. Total 14,141 nasf, 24,473 gross.
Irwin Academic Services Center: 1920, $40,000. Sigma Pi fraternity house, 1920–74; Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity house, 1974–76; Sigma Kappa sorority house, 1976–79; Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house, 1980–84; Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity house, 1984–92; Irwin Academic Services Center, 1997–present. Joseph William Royer; Tudor revival. Addition, 1961; remodeling, 1996–97, $1.8 million, Rettberg-Gruber Architects; north addition, 2007, $4.6 million, RATIO Architects. Total 7,406 nasf, 13,633 gross. This building was designed by Royer as a fraternity house. Other local Tudor revival buildings by Royer include the Lincoln Lodge and Hotel and the Alpha Rho Chi fraternity house.
Richard D. and Anne Marie Irwin Doctoral Study Hall (Surveying Building): 1905, $18,000; Horticulture Field Lab/Horticulture Service Building, 1905–24; Surveying Building, 1924–2014. Seth Justin Temple and James M. White; Jacobean revival. Remodeling, 1924, $7,500, James M. White. Total 7,969 nasf, 10,550 gross; renovation, 2016–17, $4 million (gift funds).
Irwin Indoor Football Facility: 2000, $12.5 million. RATIO Architects and Severns Reid & Associates/Isaksen Glerum PC; modern. Total 66,183 nasf, 75,931 gross. This building, which is twenty yards short of a full football field, replaced an inflatable bubble erected over Memorial Stadium's field in the winter to provide space for indoor practice.
Japan House: 1998, $675,000. Jack Baker with Isaksen-Glerum PC Architects; Japanese. Total 2,044 nasf, 3,224 gross. Funded primarily through private donations, Japan House replaced an old residence just west of Lincoln Avenue in central campus and is a unique setting for teaching Japanese culture.
Kenney Gymnasium: 1901, $50,000. Men's Gymnasium, 1901–25; Men's Old Gymnasium 1925–73; H. E. Kenney Gymnasium, 1973–present. Nelson Strong Spencer; Renaissance revival. Remodeling: 1914, 1916, 1924. Total 37,582 nasf, 49,072 gross. Kenney Gymnasium was the first gym building on campus.
Kenney Gymnasium Annex:1890, $16,000. Military Hall, 1890–1899; Armory, 1899–1915; Gymnasium Annex, 1915–1973; Kenney Gymnasium Annex, 1973–present. Nathan Ricker; Romanesque revival. Reconstruction, 1914, 1916: $7,947, James M. White; addition, 1918, $18,000, James M. White; connection to Kenney Gymnasium, 1924, $125,000, James M. White. Total 19,395 nasf, 28,078 gross. The Kenney Gym Annex was the first home of the university's varsity basketball team and other varsity athletics.
Krannert Art Museum and Kinkead Pavilion: Museum: 1961, $585,000. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Additions: 1969, $874,600, Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; William S. and Anita H. Kinkead Pavilion, 1988, $3.6 million, Laurence Booth of Booth/Hansen and Associates. Total 47,964 nasf, 72,209 gross.
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts: 1969, $21 million. Max Abramovitz of Harrison & Abramovitz; modern. Renovation: phase 1, 1977, $2 million, Richardson, Severns, Scheeler, Greene & Associates; phase 2, 1979, $550,000, Richardson, Severns, Scheeler, Greene & Associates. Total 135,617 nasf, 298,321 gross.
Law Building: 1955, $2.3 million. Ambrose M. Richardson; modern. Addition: 1993, OWP/P, $11.7 million. Total 127,831 nasf, 189,730 gross. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court justice, was the keynote speaker at the building's rededication in 1994.
Levis Faculty Center: 1972, $1.9 million; Harry Weese & Associates; modern; total 20,046 nasf, 35,912. Located on the site of the home of Dean Thomas Arkle Clark, this building operated as a faculty club until 1979.
Library: 1926, $750,000. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Additions: second unit, 1928, $510,000, Charles A. Platt and James M. White; third unit, 1929, $500,000, Charles A. Platt and James M. White; third stack addition, 1940, $222,216; fourth stack addition, 1958, $696,500, Graham, Anderson, Probst & White; building addition, 1964, $965,000, Graham, Anderson, Probst & White; fifth stack addition, 1970, $1,674,600, LZT Associates; air conditioning center, 1971, $785,741; sixth stack addition, 1984, $7.5 million, LZT Associates. Total 394,182 nasf, 485,440 gross. The Library terminated the south extension of Wright Street, which separates the cities of Champaign and Urbana; it is among the largest university libraries in the country.
Library and Information Science (for the renamed School of Information Sciences): 1914, $35,000. Acacia fraternity house ($1.2 million purchase price from Acacia Fraternity in 1990), 1914–85, 1987–90. Frederick M. Mann with R. C. Jones and R. T. Jones; English picturesque period revival (Tudor). Renovations: 1985, $1.8 million (paid by Acacia Fraternity); 1993, $980,500, Architectural Spectrum. Addition: 1999, $5.5 million, Architectural Spectrum. Total 28,669 nasf, 51,376 gross. The building was damaged extensively in a fire in 1985 and was rebuilt.
Lincoln Hall: 1911, $240,000. W. C. Zimmerman; Renaissance revival. Addition: west wing, 1929, $500,000, James M. White; total renovation 2010–13, $66.4 million, OWP/P. Total 107,455 nasf, 171,121 gross. Terra cotta panels with short quotations and scenes from Abraham Lincoln's life rim the four-story building, the largest classroom building on campus.
Loomis Laboratory of Physics: 1959, $1.9 million; Physics Building, 1959–77; Loomis Laboratory of Physics, 1977–present. Shaw, Metz & Dolio; modern. Addition: second stage, 1963, $2.1 million, Shaw, Metz & Dolio. Total 103,859 nasf, 175,513 gross. This laboratory was dedicated to F. Wheeler Loomis in 1977, head of the Department of Physics from 1927 to 1957.
Lorado Taft House: 1872, Queen Anne. Relocated in 1981 near the east edge of the cemetery, originally located at 601 East John Street. Total 3,484 nasf, 5,750 gross. This was the home of Lorado Taft, sculptor and alumnus, between 1872 and 1884. It housed the speech and hearing clinic from 1953 to 1974 and was moved in 1981 to make room for the Swanlund Administration Building.
Madigan Laboratory: 1991, $29 million. Plant and Animal Biotechnology Laboratory, 1991–95, Edward R. Madigan Laboratory, 1995–present. Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, Associates; modern Georgian. Total 96,123 nasf, 171,007 gross. This building was named for U.S. Rep. Edward R. Madigan, who advanced university and state agricultural goals as a member of the Congressional House Agricultural Committee.
Materials Science and Engineering Building: 1910, $250,000. Physics Lab, 1910–63; Metallurgy and Mining Building, 1963–2002; Materials Science and Engineering Building, 2002–present. W. C. Zimmerman; Renaissance revival. Total 53,896 nasf, 101,803 gross. This is an important example of a Renaissance revival-style building constructed between 1900 and 1920.
McKinley Health Center: 1925, $232,000. McKinley Memorial Hospital and Health Service, 1925–87; McKinley Health Center, 1987–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Additions: south wing, 1940, $181,101, Smith, Kratz and Associates; health services addition, 1962, $1 million, Smith, Kratz and Associates. Renovations: 1988, $4.6 million, Robert P. Simon Associates with Bradley, Likins, Dillow, Drayton; 2002–06, FWAI Architects Inc., $3.8 million. Total 39,404 nasf, 78,376 gross. The south wing was built in 1938–40 as a federal Public Works Administration project; the original was underwritten by U.S. Sen. William B. McKinley.
Meat Science Laboratory: 1955, $586,000; Large Animal Veterinary Clinic, 1955–77; Meat Science Lab, 1977–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of the University Architects Office; modern. Remodeling: phase 1, 1979, $600,000, Clark Altay & Associates; phase 2, 1982, $1 million, Altay & Associates. Total 15,764 nasf, 26,277 gross. The lab contains modern molecular, biochemical, and cell-culture laboratories and a USDA-inspected processing plant.
Mechanical Engineering Building: 1949, $1.6 million. Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Total 58,149 nasf, 99,940 gross. The building contains a mural by Eric Bransby called University Research, which was commissioned in 1953 and was Bransby's thesis project for Yale University.
Mechanical Engineering Laboratory: 1905, $25,000. Seth Justin Temple and James M. White; Georgian revival. Additions: north, 1906, $15,000, Seth Justin Temple and James M. White; Ceramics Department, 1910, $42,000; reconstruction and addition, 1917, $44,736, James M. White. Remodeling: 1991, $1.9 million, BLDD Architects; 1993, $1.4 million, BLDD Architects; west, 1999–2001, $9.4 million, BLDD Architects. Total 69,909 nasf, 153,370 gross. The Illinois smokeless furnace, an innovation in pollution control in an age of widespread coal burning for power, was developed here in 1947.
Medical Sciences Building: 1975, $4.4 million. Fugard, Orth and Associates; modern. Total 65,528 nasf, 114,784 gross.
Memorial Stadium: 1924, $1.7 million. Holabird & Roche; classical revival. Additions: West Hall, 1928, $50,000, James M. White; south stands (horseshoe), 1929, $241,000, Holabird & Root; press box, 1967, $1 million, Holabird & Roche. Repairs/ remodeling: 1969, $500,000; installation of aluminum seating, 1972, $75,000; installation of artificial turf, 1975, $500,000; weatherproofing, 1980, $2.1 million; structural modification and rehabilitation, 1983–84, $1.9 million, Hanson Engineers Inc.; turf replacement, 1985, $1.7 million, Daily & Associates; northwest tower renovation, 1985, $374,000, Severns, Rishling & Associates; addition, 1986, $4.2 million, Severns, Rishling & Associates; balcony and stands renovation, 1992, $18 million, Severns, Reid & Associates; north end zone seating and press box expansion, 2006–08, $120.9 million, HNTB Illinois Inc. Total 77,170 nasf, 317,000 gross.
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory: 1989, $13.7 million. Microelectronics Laboratory, 1989–2002; Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, 2002–present. Severns, Rishling & Associates Inc., with Henneman, Raufeisen and Associates Inc.; modern. Addition, $20 million, 2007, Teng & Associates. Total 26,277 nasf, 88,065 gross. The lab is one of the finest university-based semiconductor research facilities in the United States.
Morrill Hall: 1963, $2 million; Shaw, Metz & Associates with Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; modern. Addition: six-story west wing with bridge, 1966, $4.5 million, Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth. Total 92,560 nasf, 170,128 gross. This building was named for U.S. Sen. Justin Smith Morrill, R-Vt., sponsor of the 1862 federal Land Grant Act that legislatively made the U of I possible.
Mumford Hall: 1924, $493,000; New Agriculture Building, 1924–46; Mumford Hall, 1946–present. Charles A. Platt; Georgian revival. Total 65,225 nasf, 100,150 gross. Mumford Hall is the first building on campus designed by Charles A. Platt and anchored his south campus master plan.
Mumford House: 1870, $2,500. Farm House, 1870–1939; Mumford House, 1939–present. J. S. Searfoss; Victorian Gothic revival. Total 2,524 nasf, 4,420 gross. Mumford House, a model farmhouse and home to College of Agriculture deans such as Herbert Mumford, Thomas J. Burrill, and George Morrow, as of 2009 is protected from both demolition and relocation by action of the board of trustees.
Music Building: 1972, $4.7 million. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; modern. Total 59,977 nasf, 105,343 gross. The building's second floor holds musicological archives for Renaissance manuscript studies, a hymn tune index, and an archive of ethnomusicology.
National Center for Supercomputing Applications: 2005, $30 million. LZT Associates with Peter Bohlin of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson; modern Georgian revival. Total 70,500 nasf, 141,708 gross. The NCSA was launched in 1986 with funding from the National Science Foundation, the university, and the state of Illinois to develop high-speed, high-performance computing for industry, government, and universities.
National Petascale Computing Facility: 2011, $72.5 million. Gensler; modern. The building houses the "Blue Waters" supercomputer, a joint project of U of I and the Great Lakes Consortium for Petascale Computation. 88,000 gross sf.
National Soybean Research Center: 1952, $1.9 million. Veterinary Medicine Building, 1952–90; Environmental and Agricultural Sciences Building, 1990–99; National Soybean Research Center, 1999–present. Childs & Smith; Georgian revival. Addition/remodeling: phase 1, 1992, $2.8 million, Severns, Reid & Associates; phase 2, 1993, $2.3 million, Severns, Reid & Associates. Total 49,988 nasf, 98,855 gross. Leading soybean producers in Illinois (and Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and North Carolina) helped persuade the U of I to establish this center, which was dedicated in 1993.
Natural History Building: 1892, $70,000. Nathan C. Ricker; Victorian Gothic. Fire repair, 1897, $3,600. Additions: 1909, $165,000, W. C. Zimmerman; museum addition, 1910, $27,823, W. C. Zimmerman; 1923, $150,000, James M. White. Fire repair, 1991, $1.28 million. Renovations: ongoing, $5.5 million; major renovation, $73.4 million, LCM Architects. Total 94,875 nasf, 153,287 gross. It was nicknamed the "Omnibus Building" because a museum, administration offices, and several departments were housed there.
Natural Resources Building: 1940, $582,335. Joseph F. Booton with C. Herrick Hammond, supervising architect, State Department of Public Works and Buildings; Georgian revival. Total 85,888 nasf, 140,587 gross. This building was financed by the Depression-era Public Works Administration and housed the state geological, water, and natural resources surveys.
Newmark Civil Engineering Building: 1967, $4.6 million; Civil Engineering Building, 1967–81; Nathan M. Newmark Civil Engineering Building, 1981–present. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Berger, Kelley, Unteed and Associates; modern. Addition: M. T. Geoffrey Yeh Student Center, 2011, $7 million, Teng & Associates with McKenzie Wagner. Total 106,613 nasf, 184,395 gross. This building is named for Nathan M. Newmark, head of the Civil Engineering Department (1956–1973) and chair of the Digital Computer Laboratory (1947–1957).
Noble Hall: 1952, $576,500. Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; modern. Total 21,069 nasf, 34,098 gross. Named for William L. Noble, a university trustee from 1921 to 1933 who advocated for residence halls for men long before the university provided them.
North Campus Parking Deck: 2004, $31.8 million. Desman Associates Inc.; modern. Total 35,316 nasf, 521,451 gross. The deck can park sixteen hundred cars on six levels and features 21,300 gsf of available retail space on the south side ground level and another 21,000 gsf of ground level office space on the north side.
Noyes Laboratory of Chemistry: 1902, $130,000. Chemistry Laboratory, 1902–39; William Albert Noyes Laboratory of Chemistry, 1939–present. Nelson Strong Spencer; Romanesque revival. East addition, 1916, $250,000, James M. White. Remodeling, 1995, $3.4 million, RUST Environment & Infrastructure Inc. Total 111,870 nasf, 184,467 gross. Noyes Lab was designated as a National Historic Chemical Landmark in 2002 by the American Chemical Society; Noyes, a pioneering organic chemist and longtime department chairman, won the Priestley Award in 1935.
Nuclear Engineering Laboratory: 1936, $49,998. Metallurgical Laboratory, 1936–1964. Nuclear Engineering Laboratory, 1964–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of the University Architects Office. Total 11,641 nasf, 17,861 gross.
Nuclear Physics Laboratory: 1947, $1.5 million. Physics Research Laboratory, 1947–80; Nuclear Physics Laboratory, 1980–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of the University Architects Office; modern. Total 24,913 nasf, 36,605 gross. Once the home of a betatron accelerator, this building now houses both space nuclear physics experiments and offices for the Illinois Transportation Archaeological Research Program.
Nuclear Radiation Laboratory (originally Nuclear Radiations Laboratory): 1931, $8,359. State Geological Survey Laboratory, 1931–40; Nuclear Radiation Laboratory, 1940–present. James M. White. Cyclotron installation, 1943, $31,500; east addition, 1957, $175,000 ($65,000 for building addition and $110,000 for rehabilitation of cyclotron equipment). Total 7,631 nasf, 9,413 gross.
Observatory: 1896, $15,000. Charles A. Gunn; colonial revival. Additions: 1957, $43,650; 1967, $164,700. Total 6,906 nasf, 12,528 gross. The university's master clock, which used to control several others across campus, was located here.
Parking Deck F-29 and Fire Substation: 2001, $14.1 million. Desman Associates Inc.; modern. Total 6,535 nasf, 265,133 gross. The project was designed to provide about 750 parking spaces as well as a fully staffed and equipped fire station for efficient and easy access to much of the campus. The previous fire station, just off Green Street east of Engineering Hall, was demolished.
Physical Plant Service Building: 1963, $2.3 million. A. Epstein and Sons; modern. Total 130,980 nasf, 161,994 gross.
Plant Sciences Laboratory: 1988, $10.1 million. Lankton-Ziegele-Terry. Total 70,572 nasf, 95,141 gross. Primary greenhouse space for faculty, staff, and students in crop sciences, natural and environmental resources, and affiliated federal USDA projects. See also Turner greenhouses.
Plant Services Building—Northeast: 1943, $45,000. Sanitary Engineering Laboratory, 1943–70; Environmental Research Laboratory, 1970–93; Plant Services Building—Northeast, 1993–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of the University Architect's Office; art deco. Total 4,430 nasf, 6,255 gross. The Sanitary Engineering Laboratory was one of the few campus buildings constructed during World War II.
Police Training Institute Building: 1927, $41,500. Spanish colonial revival. Remodeling: 1990, $1.6 million, Isaksen, Matzdorff, Glerum & Associates. Total 14,848 nasf, 26,856 gross. Formerly the Granada Club House, where independent students, including Hugh Hefner and Allen Sherman, lived.
President's House: 1931, $152,196. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Total 12,939 nasf, 18,229 gross. President Harry Chase (1930–1933), was the first to live in the house, built on Florida Avenue in the Great Depression; the house is the primary residence of all U of I presidents.
Psychology Laboratory: 1969, $6.4 million. Alternate name: Psychology Building. Gyo Obata of Hellmuth, Obata and Kassabaum; modern. Total 80,586 nasf, 156,229 gross. The building consists of two joined "L" shaped wings surrounding a courtyard; one side is for offices and the other for research.
Public Safety Building: 1994, $2.7 million. Fischer-Wisnosky Architects; modern Georgian revival. Total 12,875 nasf, 20,729 gross. Construction of the Engineering Quad required the previous police building to be demolished.
Rehabilitation Education Center: 1964, $1 million. Ganster & Hennighausen; modern. Total 22,795 nasf, 42,546 gross. The building was financed partially by a $100,000 grant from the Robert R. McCormick Charitable Trust (now Foundation), a posthumous trust of the Chicago newspaper baron.
Roger Adams Laboratory: 1950, $3.45 million. East Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Building, 1950–72; Roger Adams Laboratory, 1972–present. Graham, Anderson, Probst & White; Georgian revival with art deco details. Addition: 1966, $6 million, Holabird & Root; 2009, $7.6 million, Loebl, Schlossman & Hackl. Total 146,869 nasf, 280,130 gross. The laboratory was named for Roger Adams, head of the Chemistry Department for twenty-eight years.
School of Labor and Employment Relations: 1962, $550,000. Institute of Labor and Industrial Relations, 1962–2008; School of Labor and Employment Relations, 2008–present. Graham, Anderson, Probst & White; modern; total 13,632 nasf, 25,266 gross. A 1942 resolution of the Illinois State Federation of Labor called for this academic unit to be founded.
Seitz Materials Research Laboratory: 1966, $4.75 million. Materials Research Laboratory, 1965–92; Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory, 1992–present. Shaw, Metz and Associates; modern. Total 74,617 nasf, 131,322 gross. In 1992 this building was renamed for Frederick Seitz, longtime U of I solid-state physics professor, head of the Physics Department, and later president of Rockefeller University.
Shelford Vivarium: 1916, $82,000. Vivarium Building, 1916–33; Experimental Zoology Laboratory, 1933–39; Vivarium Building, 1939–1982; Victor E. Shelford Vivarium, 1982–present. James M. White; craftsman/American eclectic. Total 16,830 nasf, 24,278 gross.
Siebel Center for Computer Science: 2004, $80 million. LZT Architects Inc. with Peter Bohlin of Bohlin Cywinski Jackson; modern Georgian revival. Total 133,474 nasf, 266,826 gross. Alumnus Thomas Siebel, founder, chairman and CEO of Siebel Systems, donated $32 million for the building.
Smith Memorial Hall: 1921, $476,000 (alternate name: Tina Weedon Smith Memorial Music Hall). James M. White and George E. Wright; Beaux-Arts classical. West wing addition, 1953, $150,000; renovation, 2014– , $5.5 million, Booth Hansen. Total 31,148 nasf, 76,307 gross.
Speech and Hearing Science: 1977, $2.1 million. Ezra Gordon of Ezra Gordon-Jack M. Levin Associates; modern. Total 17,606 nasf, 30,211 gross. For hearing testing and research, the building has three sound-treated rooms that rest on concrete slabs below the floor.
Spurlock Museum: 2000, $10.8 million. Nagle, Hartray, Danker, Kagan, McKay; modern Georgian. Total 37,497 nasf, 53,897 gross.
State Farm Center: 1963, $8.35 million. Assembly Hall, 1963–2013; State Farm Center, 2013–present. Max Abramovitz of Harrison & Abramovitz of New York City; modern. Remodeled, 1997–99, $12 million, Fischer-Wisnosky Architects Inc.; renovation underway 2014–17, $169.5 million plus interest, AECOM Services of Illinois. Total 186,357 nasf, 311,866 gross.
Stock Pavilion: 1913, $119,000. W. C. Zimmerman; Georgian revival. Renovations: 1951, $131,000, Ernest L. Stouffer; 1958–59, $256,980. Total 37,301 nasf, 50,412 gross. Adapting and reusing the Stock Pavilion is a popular student thesis proposal because it has large open spaces and is underused; some propose it house the Ricker Library of Architecture and Arts.
Student Services Arcade Building: 1912, $50,000. Bradley Building (also known as Bradley Arcade Building), 1912–27; Union Arcade Building, 1927–41; Arcade Building, 1941–98; Student Services Arcade Building, 1998–present. Archie Hubbard; Georgian revival. Renovation, 1948, $50,000; addition and renovation, 1997–98, $4.1 million, Carol Ross Barney of Ross Barney & Jankowski Architects. Total 18,631 nasf, 27,525 gross. The original Arcade Building housed businesses such as a barbershop, bowling alley, dance room, restaurant, music store, and, from 1940 to 1994, the Illini Union bookstore.
Superconductivity Center: 1995, $4.9 million. Larson & Darby. Total 18,641 nasf, 34,081 gross. Containing research labs, offices, and storage, this center bridges two existing buildings, Seitz Lab to the south and Engineering Sciences Building to the north.
Swanlund Administration Building: 1983, $2.2 million. Unteed, Scaggs, Fritch, Nelson, Ltd.; modern. Addition: top two stories, 1986, $1.9 million, Unteed, Scaggs, Fritch, Nelson, Ltd. Total 18,569 nasf, 33,805 gross.
Talbot Laboratory: 1929, $500,000. Materials Testing Laboratory, 1929–38; Arthur Newell Talbot Laboratory, 1938–present. James M. White and Hugh M. G. Garden; modern Georgian. Addition, 1954–55, $366,000; remodeling, 1989, $2 million, Isaksen, Matzdorff, Glerum & Associates. Total 82,965 nasf, 110,529 gross. Named for Professor Arthur Talbot (class of 1881), a pioneer in the field of reinforced concrete, to honor his fifty years of research, teaching, and service as the head of the Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
Temple Hoyne Buell Hall: 1995, $14 million. Ralph Johnson of Perkins & Will; modern. Total 48,350 nasf, 94,195 gross.
Track Stadium: 1986, $1.6 million. Daily & Associates. Renovation: 1998, $1.8 million, JJR Architects. Once this facility was available for the varsity track and soccer teams, the track at Memorial Stadium was removed.
Transportation Building: 1912, $86,000. W. C. Zimmerman; Renaissance revival. Addition: north wing, 1921, $90,000. Total 32,196 nasf, 51,445 gross. The Transportation Building housed the Railroad Museum and its collections of pictures, relics, and models illustrating the historical development of the railroad industry.
Turner Hall: 1964, $2.7 million. Naess and Murphy; modern. Addition, 1978, $8 million, L. Lattin Smith. Total 103,112 nasf, 180,003 gross. Named for Jonathan Baldwin Turner, a leading voice in the 1850s movement for land-grant universities.
Turner Hall Greenhouses: 1969, $998,400. Total 51,332 nasf, 57,667 gross.
Ubben Basketball Complex: 1998, $5.4 million. Isaksen-Glerum Associates; modern. Total 27,770 nasf, 39,206 gross. This facility was built as part of the athletic campus east of the Assembly Hall (State Farm Center) and is a practice facility for men's and women's basketball teams.
Undergraduate Library: 1969, $4.24 million (building construction cost only: $3.15 million). Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; modern. Total 67,364 nasf, 95,906 gross. Subterranean buildings such as the Undergraduate Library were popular during the 1960s. Going underground allowed for an open plaza that did not rival the monumental Main Library or shade the historic Morrow Plots.
University High School: 1919, $241,300. Education Building, 1919–42; University High School, 1942–present. Holabird & Roche and James M. White; Gothic revival. Total 24,577 nasf, 41,446 gross. This building opened as a practice school for the College of Education.
University High School Gymnasium: 1930, $25,000. James M. White; art deco revival. Total 5,055 nasf, 5,985 gross. Although this building is the high school's gymnasium, it is too small for athletic and physical education uses, so most competitions occur at Kenney Gymnasium Annex.
University Press Building: 1963, $180,000. Central Receiving Warehouse, 1963–1970; Visual Aids Service Building, 1970–1979; University Film Center, 1979–1993; University Press Building, 1993–present. Ernest L. Stouffer of the University Architect's Office; modern. Remodeling, 1970, $118,000; addition, 1977, $700,000, Dyer, Uggerby & LeGrande, Total approx. 29,500 nasf, 34,294 gross. The U of I Press publishes some 120 books and thirty journals a year; its first book, in 1918, was about Abraham Lincoln's literary style.
Veterinary Medicine Basic Sciences Building: 1982, $21.9 million. Lester B. Knight & Associates; modern. Total 154,622 nasf, 259,210 gross. This was the first major building project in the Food for Century III program, which was designed to increase the role of the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine in food production.
Veterinary Medicine Surgery and Obstetrics Laboratory: 1971, $6.3 million as a combined project with the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Large Animal Clinic and Hospital, 1971–1981; Veterinary Medicine Surgery and Obstetrics Laboratory, 1981–present. Perkins & Will; modern. Total 13,415 nasf, 18,238 gross. The veterinary medicine buildings are built low to the ground and harmonize with the round barns to the north and the dairy barns to the east.
Veterinary Teaching Hospital: 1971, $6.3 million as a combined project with the Veterinary Medicine Surgery and Obstetrics Laboratory. Veterinary Medicine Animal Clinic and Hospital and the Veterinary Medicine Hospital, 1971–1981; Veterinary Teaching Hospital, 1981–present. Perkins & Will; modern. Total 157,965 nasf, 233,637 gross. The hospital was built with rooms for eight live-in students for emergency and overnight care.
Water Survey Research Center: 1967, $516,642. Adler Mental Health Clinic, 1967–82; Water Survey Research Center, 1987–present. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates; modern. Remodeling, 1986, $321,236, S. M. Altay & Associates. Total 6,231 nasf, 11,202 gross. The Illinois State Water Survey was founded in 1895 to trace the spread of waterborne diseases, including typhoid fever, in Illinois waters; its work is more expansive today.
Wohlers Hall: 1964, $3.3 million. Commerce West, 1964–2000; Wohlers Hall, 2000–present. Jameson and Harrison; modern Georgian revival. Remodeling, 2000, $8.6 million. Rettberg-Gruber. Total 56,302 nasf, 99,551 gross.
To order online:
To order by phone:
(800) 621-2736 (USA/Canada)
(773) 702-7000 (International)
Edited by Kern Alexander
A University of Illinois Coloring Book
University of Illinois Press
Engine of Innovation
Edited by Frederick E. Hoxie
Betty Carlson Kay
The Shaping of the University
Winton U. Solberg
The University of Illinois, 1965-75
Joy Ann Williamson
Teaching and Research on the Prairie
Edited by Mary-Ann Winkelmes and Antoinette Burton with Kyle Mays
University of Illinois Vignettes
Edited by Lillian Hoddeson
Edited by Pradeep Dhillon