Cover for TATE: An Illini Place: Building the University of Illinois Campus. Click for larger image

Go back to Table of Content

An Illini Place

Building the University of Illinois Campus

Web Companion

 

 

 

Appendix 3

Housing

      Allen Residence Hall: 1957–58, residence and dining hall, $2.89 million. Formal name: Louisa C. Allen Residence Hall. Naess and Murphy; modern Georgian revival. Total 109,050 nasf, 156,131 gross. This building was named for Louisa Catherine Allen Gregory, professor of domestic science, preceptress (dean) of women from 1874 to 1880 and wife of the first U of I president.

      Babcock Hall: 1962, residence hall, $5.75 million for all five buildings in Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Total 32,125 nasf, 54,236 gross. This building was named for Kendric C. Babcock, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences 1913–1931, and university provost 1925–1931.

      Barton Hall: 1941, residence hall, $690,563 for Barton Hall and similar buildings Clark and Lundgren Halls. Ernest L. Stouffer; Georgian revival. Total 19,607 nasf, 21,782 gross. Barton Hall was named for Herbert Jewett Barton, professor of Latin and chair of the Department of Classics for thirty-five years.

      Beckwith Hall: 1981, specialized residence hall, $983,436. Historical name: Beckwith Living Center. Lankton-Ziegele-Terry and Associates; modern. Total 10,872 nasf, 16,436 gross. Beckwith Hall was operated by the Division of Disability Resources and Educational Services for students with severe physical disabilities.

      Blaisdell Hall: 1962, residence hall, $5.75 million for all five structures included in Pennsylvania Residence Halls. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Total 31,808 nasf, 56,468 gross. This building was named for Daisy Luanna Blasidell, a member of the German Department, 1900–1926.

      Bousfield Hall: 2013, residence hall, $78.1 million. Pre-construction name, Residence Hall #2. FGM Architects and Mackey Mitchell; modern. Total 182,566 gross. Named for Maudelle Tanner Brown Bousfield, the first African American woman graduate of the U of I.

      Busey Hall: 1918, residence hall, $218,170. Women's Residence Hall 1918–37; Busey Hall, 1937–present. James M. White and C. L. Gustafson; Georgian revival. Renovation: 1988, $8 million, Bradley, Likins, Dillow and Drayton. Total 31,592 nasf, 48,311 gross. Busey Hall was the first residence hall on campus and exclusively a women's residence except briefly during World War I.

      Carr Hall: 1962, residence hall, $5.75 million for all five buildings in Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Total 31,940 nasf, 54,156 gross. This building was named for alumnus Robert F. Carr, who chaired the committee that raised funds for the construction of Memorial Stadium.

      Clark Hall: 1941, student housing offices, $690,563 for Clark Hall and similar buildings Barton and Lundgren Halls. Ernest L. Stouffer, Georgian revival. Total 21,552 nasf, 31,052 gross. This building was named for Dean Thomas Arkle Clark, the first dean of men at this or any university.

      Daniels Hall: 1960, residence hall, $1.64 million, as part of a project for men's and graduate residence halls. Pre-construction name, Single Graduate Residence #1; Graduate Student Residence Hall, 1960–64; Arthur Daniels Hall, 1964–present. Hewitt & Bastian; modern. Addition (Single Graduate Residence #2), 1961, $1.2 million, Hewitt & Bastian; renovation, 2000, $12.1 million. Total 62,638 nasf, 108,579 gross. Named for Arthur Hill Daniels, professor, head of the Department of Philosophy and president from 1933 to 1934, Daniels Hall was the first residence hall built for graduate students.

      Evans Hall: 1926, residence hall, $327,000. West Residence Hall, 1926–37; Evans Hall, 1937–present. Charles A. Platt and James M. White; Georgian revival. Additions: 1932, 1937; renovation: 1988, $8 million, Bradley, Likins, Dillow and Drayton. Total 30,606 nasf, 45,030 gross. Named for Laura B. Evans, a member of the board of trustees from 1903 to 1932.

      Hopkins Hall: 1958, residence hall, $6.8 million as part of Gregory Drive Residence Halls project. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 55,011 nasf, 83,544 gross. This building was named for Cyril Hopkins, head of the Agronomy Department from 1900 to 1919.

      Ikenberry Commons and North and South Halls: In 2005, trustees approved a mammoth project to rebuild all residence halls in the area bounded by Gregory Drive, Peabody Drive, Fourth Street, and First Street; in 2008 they designated the entire project the Stanley O. Commons, including the Ikenberry Dining Hall. The projects are a cascade: one building at a time of the old "Six Pack" is demolished and a new residence hall is built. As of fall 2016, the Ikenberry Commons North halls are: Hopkins, Barton, Lundgren, Nugent, Wassaja, and Weston. (Nugent and Wassaja are new.) The Ikenberry Commons South halls are: Bousfield (new), Scott, Snyder, and Taft-Van Doren. With slight variation, each combination of demolition and new building costs $80 million. Nugent Hall houses the Beckwith Residential Support Services program for students with severe physical disabilities and is named for Timothy Nugent, an international pioneer in serving disabled students in higher education. Wassaja Hall, the campus's newest residence hall, honors Wassaja, the birth name of Carlos Montezuma, the University of Illinois's first Native American graduate and an advocate for Native American rights.

      Illinois Street Food Service: 1964, cafeteria, $6.7 million combined with the entire Illinois Street Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Total 36,296 nasf, 48,015 gross.

      Illinois Street Lounge: 1965, residence hall lounge, $6.7 million combined with the entire Illinois Street Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Total 10,522 nasf, 24,605 gross. The building included the most multipurpose space of any residence hall, an eight-hundred-seat cafeteria, and a rooftop balcony.

      Lincoln Avenue Residence Hall: 1949, residence hall, $3.3 million. Shaw, Naess & Murphy; modern Georgian revival. Total 93,933 nasf, 153,398 gross. The two wings were rededicated in 1984 to honor two former deans of women: Maria Leonard (1923–1945) and Miriam Shelden, the university's last dean of women (1947–1967).

      Lundgren Hall: 1941, residence hall, $690,563 for Lundgren Hall and similar buildings Barton and Clark Halls. Ernest L. Stouffer; Georgian revival. Total 18,052 nasf, 22,400 gross. Lundgren Hall is a fine example of campus dormitories built with the styling of Georgian revival architecture, in keeping with the campus master plan. The building was named for Carl Lundgren, a longtime U of I baseball coach.

      Oglesby Hall: 1966, residence hall, $7 million as part of the entire Florida Avenue Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson and Orth; modern. Total 69,477 nasf, 116,076 gross. A provision in the architects' contract allotted a fee to the firms if the buildings were to be duplicated.

      Orchard Downs Apartments: 1961, residences, $3.6 million. Lundeen and Hilfinger; modern. Addition: 1964, $1.95 million. Total 213,004 nasf, 291,685 gross.

      Orchard Place Apartments: 1959, residences, $1.2 million. Simon & Rettberg with Shapland Homes Inc.; modern. Total 65,528 nasf, 84,616 gross.

      Orchard South Apartments: 1968, residences, $2.1 million. Lundeen and Hilfinger; modern. Total 133,560 nasf, 163,548 gross.

      Pennsylvania Lounge Building: 1962, residence hall lounge and cafeteria, $5.75 million for all five buildings in Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Renovation, 2007–08, $12 million, DeStefano and Partners. Total 26,312 nasf, 52,669 gross. Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls were the first group of dorms designed for coed use.

      Saunders Hall: 1962, residence hall, $5.75 million for all five buildings in Pennsylvania Avenue Residence Halls. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson & Orth; modern. Total 32,134 nasf, 54,177 gross. This building was named for alumna Alta Gwinn Saunders, a faculty member from 1917 to 1948 and director of the University's Alumni Association.

      Scott Hall: 1960, residence hall, $6.9 million with all of Peabody Drive Residence Halls. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 57,025 nasf, 90,435 gross. Named for Franklin W. Scott, professor of English (1901–1925) and chairman of the board of the Illini Publishing Company.

      Sherman Hall: 1965–66, residence hall, $4.1 million. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Mielke and Smith; modern. Total 67,807 nasf, 122,199 gross. This building was named after Stuart Pratt Sherman, chairman of the English department from 1914 to 1924.

      Snyder Hall: 1960, residence hall, $6.9 million as part of the entire Peabody Drive Residence Halls project. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 60,127 nasf, 90,483 gross. This building was named for Edward Snyder, who was the university's first professor of military science and tactics and later dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

      Ikenberry Student Dining and Residential Programs Building: 2010, cafeteria and lounge, $75.7 million as a combined project with Nugent Hall. Booth Hansen and Nagle Hartray Danker Kagan McKay Penney Architects Ltd.; modern. Total 137,000 gross.

      Student-Staff Apartments: 1949–50, family and graduate student housing, $2.5 million. Skidmore, Owings & Merrill; modern. Total 94,569 nasf, 134,780 gross. The apartments were built on the former site of the home of Andrew F. Fay, an Urbana banker.

      Taft Hall: 1957, residence hall, $1.3 million as combined project with Van Doren Hall. Schaeffer & Wilson; modern. Total 25,112 nasf, 45,671 gross. This building was named for Lorado Taft, who created the Alma Mater sculpture.

      Timothy J. Nugent Hall: 2010, residence hall, $75.7 million as a combined project with the Student Dining and Residential Programs Building. BLDD and Booth Hansen; modern. West addition, 2012, $46.7 million, 4240 Architecture and KSQ Architects. Total 234,000 gross. Named for Timothy Nugent, the longtime director of the university's Division of Rehabilitation Education Services.

      Townsend Hall: 1964, residence hall, $6.7 million as a part of the Illinois Street Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Total 78,504 nasf, 110,266 gross. Named for Edgar J. Townsend, the U of I's first mathematician and later head of the Mathematics Department.

      Trelease Hall: 1966, residence hall, $7 million as part of the Florida Avenue Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Fugard, Burt, Wilkinson and Orth; modern. Total 75,530 nasf, 121,378 gross. Named for Leah Trelease, teacher, author, counselor, and dean of women (1946–1947).

      Van Doren Hall: 1957, residence hall, $1.3 million as combined project with Taft Hall. Schaeffer & Wilson; modern. Total 27,820 nasf, 37,557 gross. This building was named for Carl Van Doren, who won the Pulitzer Prize in 1935 for his biography of Benjamin Franklin.

      Wardall Hall: 1964, residence hall, $6.7 million as part of the Illinois Street Residence Halls project. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Mittelbusher & Tourtelot; modern. Total 70,227 nasf, 102,752 gross. At twelve stories tall, Wardall Hall was the tallest residence hall on campus when it was built. Named for Ruth A. Wardall, head of the Home Economics Department (1921–1936).

      Wassaja Hall: 2016, residence hall, $80 million, part of Ikenberry Commons. FGM Architects. Total 155,000 gross. Cost includes storm-water detention in playing fields west of South First Street.

      Weston Hall: 1961, residence hall, $6.9 million as part of the Peabody Drive Residence Halls project. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 58,096 nasf, 90,488 gross. Since 1997 this residence hall has been designated to a living-learning community called Weston Exploration, which focuses on learning about different majors and career possibilities. Named for Nathan A. Weston, the first dean of the College of Commerce and Business Administration.

Go back to Table of Content

 

Lex Tate is an adjunct lecturer in journalism and advertising at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and served as associate director of the University of Illinois Office for University Relations. John Franch is the author of Robber Baron: The Life of Charles Tyson Yerkes.

To order online:
http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/catalog/54prc2rm9780252041112.html

To order by phone:
(800) 621-2736 (USA/Canada)
(773) 702-7000 (International)

Related Titles

previous book next book
Journal of Aesthetic Education

Edited by Pradeep Dhillon

An Illinois Sampler

Teaching and Research on the Prairie

Edited by Mary-Ann Winkelmes and Antoinette Burton with Kyle Mays

Journal of Education Finance

Edited by Kern Alexander

Illinois from A to Z

Betty Carlson Kay

The University of Illinois

Engine of Innovation

Edited by Frederick E. Hoxie

No Boundaries

University of Illinois Vignettes

Edited by Lillian Hoddeson

The University of Illinois, 1894-1904

The Shaping of the University

Winton U. Solberg

Black Power on Campus

The University of Illinois, 1965-75

Joy Ann Williamson

Orange, Blue, and U

A University of Illinois Coloring Book

University of Illinois Press