Golf. Cook. Village (1928). Named for the game of golf. The local story is that Albert J. Erling, president of the Milwaukee Road, would have the train stopped at this point so that he and his friends could play a round at the Glen View Golf Club (Reich, “The Suburb That Growth Forgot”). Post office established Aug. 30, 1898.
From Place Names of Illinois by Edward Callary