About the BookA multibillion-dollar entertainment empire, the National Football League is a coast-to-coast obsession that borders on religion and dominates our sports-mad culture. But today's NFL also provides a stage for playing out important issues roiling American society.
This updated and expanded edition of NFL Football observes the league's centennial by following the NFL into the twenty-first century, where off-the-field concerns compete with touchdowns and goal line stands for headlines. Richard C. Crepeau delves into the history of the league and breaks down the new era with an in-depth look at the controversies and dramas swirling around pro football today:
- Tensions between players and Commissioner Roger Goodell over collusion, drug policies, and revenue, including analysis of the 2020 collective bargaining agreement
- The firestorm surrounding Colin Kaepernick and protests of police violence and inequality
- Andrew Luck and others choosing early retirement over the threat to their long-term health
- Paul Tagliabue's role in covering up information on concussions
- The Super Bowl's evolution into a national holiday
Authoritative and up to the minute, NFL Football continues the epic American success story.