An Illini Place
Building the University of Illinois Campus
Aeronautical Engineering Lab B: 1895, $20,000. Machinery Hall, 1895–97; Metal Shop, 1897–1921; Machine and Forge Laboratory, 1921–31; Machine Laboratory, 1931–37; Machine Tool Laboratory, 1937–50; Aeronautical Engineering Lab B, 1950–93. Demolished 1993. Nathan C. Ricker; industrial. Addition: one room, 1905, James M. White. Total 11,146 nasf, 13,980 gross. The building reflected Nathan C. Ricker's educational philosophy: an architect should be a safe and economical builder first, a good businessperson second, and an artistic designer last.
Animal Genetics Building: 1915, $12,000. Genetics Laboratory, 1915–44; Animal Genetics Building 1944–2001. Demolished 2001. James M. White; bungalow. Addition, 1949, $52,000; remodeled 1967, $31,000. Total 5,830 nasf, 8,022 gross. This building was demolished to create "green space" in front of the ACES Library.
Davenport House: 1905, $12,500. 809 South Wright Street, 1905–22; Woman's Cottage No. 1, 1922–23; Davenport House, 1923–92. Demolished 1992. James M. White; craftsman with Queen Anne influence. Addition: link to former Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house, 1928, $15,000. The building was demolished to clear a site for the Illini Union Bookstore.
Electrical Engineering Annex: 1898, $37,935. A combined project with the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Lab. Boiler House, 1898–1930; Electrical Engineering Annex, 1930–94. Demolished 1994. Cyrus Daniel McLane and Seth Justin Temple; industrial. Total 10,413 nasf, 20,960 gross. This building was demolished in 1994 for the development of the Engineering Quad.
Electrical Engineering Research Lab: 1898, $37,935. A combined project with the Boiler House. Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Laboratory, 1898–1905; Electrical Engineering Laboratory, 1905–48; Electrical Engineering Research Laboratory, 1948–94. Demolished 1994. Cyrus Daniel McLane and Seth Justin Temple; industrial. Additions: south building (originally called the Laboratory of Applied Mechanics and later the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Laboratory), 1902, $30,000, Nelson Strong Spencer; link with the Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Lab, 1929, $67,000, James M. White. Renovation: room 215, 1946, $50,000, Graham, Anderson, Probst and White. Total 29,581 nasf, 58,490 gross. The second floor of the building was converted to a gymnasium in 1902.
Filtration Plant: 1931, $75,000. Partially demolished, 1987; completely demolished, 1992. James M. White; industrial art deco. Total 5,694 gross sq. This building was built to purify all water used on campus.
Fire Station: 1901, $8,000. Pumping Station, 1901–36; Fire Station, 1936–2002. Demolished 2001. Nelson Strong Spencer and Arthur N. Talbot; Renaissance revival. Added room to house firemen, 1911, $400; remodeled (new entrance built), 1948, $6,773; second story added, 1953, $41,353, as a combined project with the renovation of the fire station garage. Total 6,714 nasf, 9,130 gross. The University of Illinois was the first institution of higher education in the world to operate its own fire department.
Fire Station Garage: 1906, $2,000. Ceramics Kiln, 1906–14; Fire Station Garage, 1914–98. Demolished 1998. James M. White. Renovation, 1953, $41,353 as a combined project with the second story addition to the fire station; total 660 nasf, 828 gross. This building was originally the first building dedicated to the Department of Ceramics.
Forbes Hall: 1958, residence hall, $6.8 million as part of Gregory Drive Residence Halls project. Demolished 2013. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 55,603 nasf, 83,637 gross. This building was named for Stephen Alfred Forbes who was curator of the Natural History Museum and director of the State Laboratory of Natural History.
Garner Hall: 1958, residence hall, $6.8 million as part of Gregory Drive Residence Halls project. Demolished 2012. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 55,586 nasf, 83,621 gross. Garner Hall was the first residence hall to be demolished to make way for construction of the Ikenberry Commons.
Gregory Food Service Building: 1958, cafeteria, $6.8 million as part of Gregory Drive Residence Halls project. Demolished 2010. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates.
"Illini Orange" Snack Bar: 1960, $488,000. Demolished 2007. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 10,949 nasf, 16,000 gross. The Illini Orange was demolished to make room for the new dining and housing programs facility as the first stage of the Ikenberry Commons Residence Hall development. "Illini Orange" was the snack bar's nickname.
North Greenhouse: 1897, $7,000. Demolished 1994. Lord & Burnham; industrial. Additions: 1899, $500; 1909, $800; 1911, $800. Total 6,200 gross. This was known as the President's House Greenhouse while it was standing.
Nuclear Reactor Laboratory: 1960, $357,000. Demolished 2012. Richardson, Severns, Scheeler & Associates with Clark, Daily & Dietz; modern. Addition, 1968, $1.4 million. Total 4,530 nasf, 5,408 gross. The nuclear reactor was used not to produce electricity but for research and instruction from 1960 to 1968. Decommissioned in 2004.
Ornamental Horticulture Building: 1913, $86,000 as a combined project with the Vegetable Crops Building and greenhouses. Floriculture Building, 1913–72; Ornamental Horticulture Building, 1972–2002. Demolished 2002. James M. White; craftsman. Addition: greenhouse, 1928, $27,000. Total 7,776 nasf, 10,998 gross.
Peabody Food Service Building: 1961, cafeteria, $6.9 million as part of the entire Peabody Drive Residence Halls project. Demolished 2010. Ambrose M. Richardson & Associates with Berger-Kelley & Associates; modern. Total 44,203 nasf, 73,703 gross. This structure and the Gregory Food Service Building were razed to make way for the Ikenberry Commons.
University Building: 1864, ~$80,000. Champaign and Urbana Institute Building, 1864–67; University Building, 1867–81. Demolished 1881. The University Building was the only structure on campus when the Illinois Industrial University opened its doors in March 1868. A tornado ripped off a portion of the University Building's west wing in April 1880; the structure was torn down the following year.
University Hall: 1874, $160,000. Demolished 1938. John Mills Van Osdel; Second Empire. Total ~90,000 gross sf. In 1873 the University of Arkansas purchased Van Osdel's plans for University Hall and used them to construct its Old Main—a structure nearly identical to University Hall. Extensively renovated between 1989 and 1991, Old Main still stands on the Arkansas campus.
University Health Service: 1896, $15,000. President's House, 1896–1917; YMCA Headquarters, 1917–19; University Health Service, 1919–47. Demolished 1947. Solon S. Beman; New England colonial. Beman also designed palace-car manufacturer George M. Pullman's model town.
Vegetable Crops Building: 1913, $86,000 as a combined project with the Floriculture Building and greenhouses. Demolished 2008. James M. White; craftsman. Additions: greenhouse, 1928, $23,000 (demolished in 1988). Total 6,515 nasf, 9,050 gross. The site for the Vegetable Crops Building, north of Mt. Hope Cemetery, was donated by the citizens of Champaign County.
Veterinary Clinic-Small Animal: 1905, $28,000. Beef Cattle Barn/ Building, 1905–19; Animal Pathology Laboratory, 1919–45; Veterinary Pathology Laboratory, 1945–52; Veterinary Clinic, 1952–55; Veterinary Clinic—Small Animal, 1955–76. Demolished 1976. James M. White; Jacobean revival. This structure and the similar Surveying Building were both designed by James White and completed in the same year, 1905.
Wood Shop and Foundry: 1901, $31,000. Wood Shop, 1901–04; Wood Shop and Foundry, 1904–21; Pattern Laboratory and Foundry Laboratory, 1921–31; Wood Shop and Foundry, 1931–92. Demolished 1992. Nelson Strong Spencer; Renaissance revival. Addition: foundry, 1904, $10,770, Seth Justin Temple and James M. White. Total 25,275 nasf, 38,726 gross. Demolition of this lab for Grainger Engineering Library created controversy about the preservation of the original campus.
To order online:
To order by phone:
(800) 621-2736 (USA/Canada)
(773) 702-7000 (International)
Edited by Kern Alexander
Engine of Innovation
Edited by Frederick E. Hoxie
University of Illinois Vignettes
Edited by Lillian Hoddeson
Betty Carlson Kay
Teaching and Research on the Prairie
Edited by Mary-Ann Winkelmes and Antoinette Burton with Kyle Mays
A University of Illinois Coloring Book
University of Illinois Press
The University of Illinois, 1965-75
Joy Ann Williamson
Edited by Pradeep Dhillon
The Shaping of the University
Winton U. Solberg