PDF and preprint policy
Below are the permissions policies for PDFs, preprints, and postprints of articles for journals published by the University of Illinois Press:
American Journal of Psychology
Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education
History of the Present
Journal of Aesthetic Education
Journal of Animal Ethics
Music and the Moving Image
The Polish Review
Visual Arts Research
Women, Gender, and Families of Color
PDFs are permitted and issued for the following:
- Tenure dossier.
- Special workshops the author is moderating.
- Other requests to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- All PDFs will include a statement of copyright and a provision that the articles will not be photocopied, distributed, or used for purposes other than the terms agreed to by UIP.
- University repositories; UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the preprint.
- Some journals have their own established policies and procedures for preprints. Please be sure to first check their respective Web sites before sending your request.
- Non-profit archives and repositories; Articles must be at least one year old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
- Personal and commercial Web sites; Articles must be at least three years old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
Please send all requests to:
Rights and Permissions Manager