Centennial Celebration Activities
UI staff will present publishing workshops, career diversity panels, and panel discussions of Press history to widen our audiences and bring publishing expertise and historical knowledge to campus and general audiences. In addition, special panels will focus on the history of UI Press, its relationships with UI faculty and archives, and its emphasis on social justice issues and publishing minority voices.
• Director's Panel, UIUC, on supporting scholarship on underrepresented histories.
• University Archive's Sesquicentennial Speakers Series, on Press's relationship to UIUC faculty.
• Scholarly Commons Savvy Researcher program, UIUC: professional development workshops.
Addams Hull-House panel, UIC: on the Jane Addams Papers project and the ongoing
of Hull-House on Chicago's West Side.
• Cultural diversity in Chicago, UIC: focus on Chicago Food Encyclopedia.
• "Diversifying Scholarship" panel at UIC library.
Years of Publishing Lincoln" at Lincoln Presidential Library, Springfield, in
Conference on Illinois History.
• Illinois History Symposium presentation at UIS.
Several exhibits, prepared in collaboration with UIUC and UIC library staff, will establish a UI Press presence in highly trafficked campus common spaces. These events will bring UI Press publications and history to the attention of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
• Main Library, UIUC, North-South Corridor, February 2018
• Richard J. Daley Library, UIC, Circle Reading Room, October 2018
• UI President's House, April 2018, UIUC
• Jane Addams Hull-House, UIC, September 2018
• Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, October 2018
These events will bring the Press to the attention of important administrators, and bring those executives into contact with our authors, donors, and stakeholders in the area.
Campus and community initiatives:
• Little Free Library in President's Lounge of Illini Union:
An interactive space through which users can engage with scholarly dialogues about social justice issues and cultural topics through our publishing program. This initiative brings UI Press to the attention of students and other visitors to the Illini Union, while the Library's "take a book, leave a book" philosophy will foster the free exchange of knowledge on campus and beyond.
• Annual Book & Jacket Design Show, Association of University Presses:
Exhibited in a central campus venue, in partnership with Art + Design faculty, this event will help us connect with students and faculty, while offering teaching opportunities on the tenets of good design.
• Art Theater partnership:
Panels and film screenings will bring together film buffs throughout the C-U area to view and discuss important contemporary film and film scholarship. This effort will raise the profile of the Press within the Champaign-Urbana community.
• Quad Day:
This event brings us into direct contact with students, providing opportunities to share information about the Press, its publications, and opportunities for internships and employment.
• Market at the Square:
Connects the Press to community Market-goers through book giveaways and distribution of our centennial calendar as well as coloring pages from Orange, Blue, and U for kids and students.
Promotional initiatives will connect with a broad national audience of scholars at conferences and with community members at local events.
wall calendar featuring highlights in the history of the Press since 1918.
Calendars will be
given away to Press friends at scholarly conferences and public events.
• T shirts and cloth bag giveaways.
of iPads loaded with 100 of UIP's
e-books. We will collect entries throughout the
year and draw to give away three iPads.