Hoopeston [HUP stuhn]. Vermilion. City (1877). Modern Hoopeston is the result of an early 1870s merger of three communities: Hoopeston, laid out by Thomas Hoopes and Joseph Satterwhaite; North Hoopeston, laid out by Alba Honeywell; and Leeds, established by the Chicago, Danville and Vincennes Railroad. Railroad officials proposed to name the station after Honeywell, who declined and in turn suggested Hoopeston, for Thomas Hoopes (Cox, comp., A History of Hoopeston, 1—2). Post office established Oct. 25, 1871.

*****

From Place Names of Illinois by Edward Callary

Comments are closed.