West Point. Hancock. Village (1893) eleven miles south of Carthage. Formerly known as Pumpkinville and then as Wigletown, named for early settler David Wigle. Renamed in 1856 for their former home, West Point, N.Y., by Wigle’s wife, who felt this was a more dignified name than Wigletown (Historic Sites, 320). Post office established March 31, 1858.

*****

From Place Names of Illinois by Edward Callary

Comments are closed.