The University of Illinois Press seeks a Publicity Coordinator to develop publicity campaigns and implement publicity efforts for the Press’s entire book list (trade, scholarly, regional), focusing primarily on newly published books, currently about 100 new books per year. Visit our website: http://www.press.uillinois.edu/. Additional responsibilities include:
- Create comprehensive and successful publicity plans for 100 or more titles each year.
- Oversee all review media mailings; develop creative, thorough, and targeted mailing lists for bound proof and finished books.
- Write press releases, develop media kits, and research media contacts.
- Develop strong relationships with print and electronic media; meet and communicate with book review editors and radio/TV producers regularly to present new titles; special focus on metropolitan media in: Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C.
- Attend selected academic and trade conferences (including weekend travel).
- Manage UI Press blog and the Press presence on other social networking sites including Twitter and Facebook. Update content regularly, including scheduling posts from authors and others and working with IT on form and function.
- Update and maintain in-house publicity database (FileMaker) and research media contacts via online guide (Cision).
- Attend editorial and marketing meetings and provide analyses of publicity prospects for new titles.
- Maintain relationships with other departments at UI (Urbana, Chicago, and Springfield campuses), including the office of the alumni relations, the office of Public Affairs, and the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Arrange book signings and launch parties at bookstores, libraries, museums, historical societies, book festivals, and academic conferences.
- Oversee the production of video book trailers.
- Arrange regional, national, and international radio/TV appearances.
- Communicate publicity information to authors, editors, and UIP marketing staff.
- Manage publicity budget and schedules.
- Manage author relationships.
- Serve on the Crisis Communication Committee.
- Participate in the professional activities of the Association of American University Presses.
- Responsible for overseeing staff (Marketing and Sales Assistant).
Minimum qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in a related field and a minimum of 2 years of experience in book publishing or a minimum of five years of experience in publicity/public relations. Other required qualifications include: strong writing, interpersonal and organizational skills; multi-tasking capability to manage multiple complex tasks; independent decision making skills; knowledge and demonstrated experience with the Microsoft Office Suite; demonstrated experience with databases and knowledge of the web; ability to travel out of state (by airplane) and managerial experience with directing and overseeing staff preferred.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by October 8, 2012 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
Employee Relations and Human Resources
271 Henry Administration Building, MC 341
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. University Administration welcomes applications from women, underrepresented minorities, persons with disabilities, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.