Foosland [FOOS luhnd]. Champaign. Village (1959) seven miles southwest of Gibson City. Founded in 1874 and named for William Foos, an absentee landlord who owned some 3,500 acres in Champaign county in the 1840s (Bateman and Selby, eds., Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois and History of Champaign County, 685). Post office established June 19, 1874.

*****

From Place Names of Illinois by Edward Callary

Comments are closed.