The most popular drink of the evening was the Pink Lemerson, invented by Leslie DeLucia in honor of the occasion.
-Absolut Ruby Red
-Red grapefruit juice
-A twist of lemon
Press director Bill Regier gave a speech that had us all chuckling in recognition.
“We all know that anybody who is interesting is a bundle of contradictions. And Lisa, we know that you are interesting. To give a hint of how interesting you are, I’d like to recite twenty things we’ll remember about Lisa.
1. She’s keeps her religion to herself, but . . .
2. she exorcised the demons of Banner.
3. She prizes professionalism in all University procedures, but . . .
4. when given a chance to choose her own nickname she chose “Cupcake.”
5. For decades she’s cheered for the Orange and Blue, but . . .
6. really, she’d rather wear red, yellow, or white.
7. Lisa loves to chat, but . . .
8. she’s an especially keen listener.
9. She keeps her desk as clear as an airport runway, but . . .
10. her office often experiences traffic congestion.
11. She won’t shop at Bed, Bath, and Beyond because they don’t carry spread sheets, but . . .
12. she’ll patronize Sephora to keep them in business.
13. She can visit Las Vegas again and again and never enter a casino, but . . .
14. she can’t leave my office without snitching some M & Ms.
15. She’s as independent as a jungle cat, but . . .
16. she’s a sucker for stray kittens.
17. We learned this year that her closet is life threatening, but . . . .
18. her wardrobe never malfunctioned.
19. She loves the University of Illinois, its Press, and its people, but . . .
20. she’s leaving us tomorrow to seek some new adventure.
Many have left the Press and were soon forgotten, but Lisa, you’ll be a legend. With thanks, I lift a toast to you.”
Jennifer Reichlin is the Editorial, Design, Production Manager at the University of Illinois Press.