Illinois Place Name of the Day – Oct. 15, 2008

Savoy. Champaign. Village (1956) two miles south of Champaign. Named for Princess Clotilde of the Alpine Duchy, the House of Savoy, who visited Illinois in 1861 with her husband, Prince Napoleon; the French minister, Baron Mercier; and Mercier’s wife, the Countess of Lostant (see Lostant) (Ackerman, Early Illinois Railroads, 126). Post office established March 30, 1868.