University of Illinois Press seeks a Journals Marketing Assistant. The primary function of the Journals Marketing Assistant under the direction of the Journals Marketing and Strategy Manager is to implement marketing strategies for the Press’s Journals program covering 40+ (and growing) journal titles in the humanities and social sciences. This includes marketing campaigns, conference attendance/representation, advertising, social networking and the development and implementation of new marketing techniques for the department. The Journals Marketing Assistant will work to respond to the market needs of our journals program partners to strengthen and further grow the program.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Work closely with the Journals Manager to keep pace with scholarly publishing developments and to proactively create strategic marketing/communication plans that meet the goals and objectives of the department.
- Work with the Journals Marketing and Strategy Manager and with other marketing staff to develop additional and/or new approaches to improve the effectiveness of existing marketing strategies.
- Develop and implement communication, advertising and marketing materials for traditional print and online media (including website, online advertising, e-mail marketing, and more) for strategic initiatives.
- Develop and implement key messages for all subscriber/reader audiences to increase reader involvement and increase subscriptions.
- Assist with using research and data analytics to drive strategic thinking into new areas of marketing, advertising, branding and content strategy.
- Update marketing content that appears on the UIP Journals Web site to ensure that it is meeting its potential as an effective marketing and communications tool.
- Execute and manage special projects as assigned by Journals Marketing and Strategy Manager.
- Use social media tools to promote UIP Journals, increase awareness and interact with readers and/or subscribers.
- Represent the Press at academic and professional conference meetings, as needed.
- Work with the Journals Marketing and Strategy Manager to develop marketing strategies when responding to RFP’s from potential new clients/publishing partners.
- Work with UIP outside Journal partners (JSTOR, Project Muse, etc.) to leverage marketing opportunities and data and to expand product offerings.
- Assist with aspects of advertising appearing in print and online Press journals including solicitations, preparation and invoicing.
- Perform other duties appropriate for a Journals Marketing Assistant.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
- One year (12 months) of professional work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, brand management, or a related professional area
- Experience needed with Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and InDesign. Experience in the implementation and analysis of e-marketing initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Interest in publishing and understanding of the value of scholarship in the humanities and social sciences.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to handle a multi-task work environment with changing priorities and limited supervision.
- Able to be creative with strong analytical skills and strategic thinking capabilities.
- The ability to problem solve and work independently. Some technical knowledge to edit and maintain the journals department website.
- Knowledge of marketing, especially e-marketing, in order to make recommendations and explore new avenues for promotion of UIP Journals.
- Knowledge of scholarly journals publishing and library market trends as well as publishing knowledge.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after July 14, 2020. Salary is commensurate with experience.
More information on how to apply can be found here: