Field Building, 135 S. La Salle Street. Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White, 1934. View from southeast. (Contemporary post card, collection of the author)
Announced on September 29, 1929 just days before the stock market crash, the Field Building was to occupy the southern half of the block bounded by Adams, LaSalle, and Clark Streets. . . . Just thirteen months later the project had been bid, foundations prepared, and the steelwork completed–the last taking just forty working days. With the Depression at its depths, George Fuller & Co. had little trouble getting labor, and an estimated seventy-five hundred workers were employed on site at its busiest.
Taken from Chicago Skyscrapers, 1871-1934 (University of Illinois Press, June 2013).