The University of Illinois Press seeks a Journals Marketing and Communication Manager. The Journals Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of marketing campaigns for Press’s Journals program covering 40+ titles in the humanities and social sciences. This includes marketing campaigns, conference attendance/representation, advertising, social networking, and the development and implementation of new marketing techniques for the program. In order to respond to the market needs of our journals program partners, this position will use social media, advertising, branding, research, and analytics to strengthen and help grow the program. The Journals Marketing and Communications Manager supervises another staff member and reports to the Journals Manager.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Manage and develop innovative and effective marketing strategies that align with UIP short- and long-term goals to include content marketing, social media marketing, email marketing, and event marketing. These may include: journals promotional campaigns related to the program; working with journal editors and clients; monitoring the progress of marketing program time lines; and overseeing ad solicitation/approval/billing activities.
- Work with the Journals Manager to develop additional and/or new approaches to improve the effectiveness of existing marketing strategies; and provide assistance with other journal-related activities such as: working with the Journals Manager to coordinate activities related to outreach initiatives in acquiring new businesses, including assisting with responses to requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Develop communication, advertising and marketing materials for traditional print and online media (including website, online platform, e-mail marketing, and more for strategic initiatives).
- Collaborate with book marketing team members on cross promotion of subject-related content and initiatives where appropriate.
- Supervise and direct the Journals Marketing Assistant to establish priorities, objectives, and implement activities that meet the goals of the journals program. Train, mentor, and supervise student and intern staff as needed.
- Collaborate with the Journals Fulfillment staff to coordinate journal circulation activities including: conducting analyses to ensure journal circulation objectives and goals are met; developing and maintaining effective working relationships with current and prospective clients; researching market trends regarding print and online journal production; scheduling mailings (e.g., mass mailings, renewal notices, and other mailings); and handling other activities.
- Use research and data analytics to drive strategic thinking into new areas of marketing, advertising, branding, and content engagement strategies. Track journal content usage and report on agreed upon schedule to journal partners.
- Coordinate and manage the accuracy of marketing content on the UIP Journals Web site to ensure that it is meeting its potential as an effective marketing and communications tool.
- Manage collaboration with Digital Marketing Manager to promote UIP Journals through social media tools for promotion purposes, to increase awareness, and to interact with readers and/or subscribers.
- Represent the Press at appropriate meetings and events as well as serve on Press and other industry committees as appropriate.
- Launch promotion materials for new journals and other publication products as need arises.
- Work with UIP Journal partners (Scholarly Publishing Collective, Project Muse, JSTOR, etc.) to leverage marketing opportunities and use data and to expand product offerings.
- Perform other duties appropriate for the position as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations, or a closely related field.
- Three years’ experience in scholarly communications, journals publishing, and/or marketing in a business, public or educational setting.
- Experience in humanities scholarly publishing.
- Experience in the implementation and analysis of e-marketing initiatives.
- Experience in specialized computer programs/applications used such as HTML coding, Photoshop, InDesign, and other specialized computer programs/applications.
- Experience acquired working in a higher education institution.
- Experience in marketing, especially e-marketing, in order to make recommendations and explore new avenues for promotion of UIP Journals.
- Experience developing strategic communications/marketing plans for specific target audiences in diverse subject areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to handle a multi-task work environment with changing priorities and limited supervision.
- Must be creative with analytical skills and strategic-thinking capabilities.
- The ability to problem solve and work independently is necessary. Some technical knowledge is required to edit and maintain the journals department website.
- Willingness to contribute to a culture of teamwork, continuous learning, and collegiality at the Press.
Salary and Appointment Information:
This is a full-time Civil Service Marketing Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after April 7, 2022. Salary is commensurate with experience.
See the full posting and apply here: