Visual Arts Research
Visual Arts Research (VAR) provides a forum for historical, critical, cultural, psychological, educational, and conceptual research in visual arts and aesthetic education. Unusual in its length and breadth, VAR typically publishes 9 - 12 scholarly papers per issue and remains committed to its original mission to provide a venue for both longstanding research questions and traditions alongside emerging interests and methodologies.
Advanced Placement Fine Arts and Music, Art & Architecture Complete, Art & Architecture Index, Art & Architecture Source, Art Abstracts (H.W. Wilson), Art Full Text (H. W. Wilson), Art Index (H.W. Wilson), Art Source Ultimate, Book Review Digest Plus, Current Abstracts, Education Abstracts, Education Full Text, Education Full Text (H.W. Wilson), Education Index, Education Research Complete, Education Research Index, Education Source, Education Source Ultimate, Gale Academic OneFile, Gale Academic OneFile Select, Gale OneFile: Fine Arts, Gale World Scholar: Latin America and the Caribbean, InfoTrac Custom, OmniFile Full Text Mega (H.W. Wilson), OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson), Poetry & Short Story Reference Center, TOC Premier
Click here to subscribe.
|Print + Online||$60|
|Print + Online||$80*|
|*Institutional 'Online Only' and 'Print + Online' subscriptions must be purchased through the Scholarly Publishing Collective.|
Non-U.S. Postage: $10 Canada/Mexico, $15 Other Non-U.S. Locations
Single Issues: $20
ONLINE + PRINT ADVERTISING
The print ad rates for all our titles can be found in the 2023 journals catalog/rate card.
Sarah Travis and Laura Hetrick
Visual Arts Research
143 Art and Design
University of Illinois
Champaign, IL 61820
- Joni Boyd Acuff, The Ohio State University
- Terry Barrett, The Ohio State University
- Cala Coats, Arizona State University
- Tyler Denmead, University of Cambridge
- Emiel Heijnen, Amsterdam University of the Arts
- Lisa Hochtritt, Maryland Institute College of Art
- Ann Holt, Pratt Institute
- Emily J. Hood, Appalachian State University
- Mira Kallio-Tavin, University of Georgia
- Dana Carlisle Kletchka, The Ohio State University
- Aaron Knochel, Penn State University
- Hyunji Kwon, University of South Carolina
- Lillian L. Lewis, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Christine Liao, University of North Carolina at Wilmington
- Susan B. Livingston, Indiana State University
- Ryan Patton, Virginia Commonwealth University
- César A. Peña-Iguavita, Universidad de los Andes
- Samuel D. Rocha, The University of British Columbia
- Karyn Sandlos, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Manisha Sharma, University of North Texas
- Sara Scott Shields, Florida State University
- Richard Siegesmund, Northern Illinois University
- Kevin Slivka, State University of New York at New Paltz
- Albert Stabler, Illinois State University
- Kryssi Staikidis, Northern Illinois University
- Anne Thulson, Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Gloria J. Wilson, University of Arizona
- Courtnie Wolfgang, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Christine Woywod-Veettil, Art of Education University
- Ahu YolacLawrence, Technological University
- Injeong Yoon-Ramirez, University of Arkansas
PDFs are permitted and issued for the following:
- Tenure dossier.
- Special workshops the author is moderating.
- Other requests to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- All PDFs will include a statement of copyright and a provision that the articles will not be photocopied, distributed, or used for purposes other than the terms agreed to by UIP.
- University repositories; UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the preprint.
- Some journals have their own established policies and procedures for preprints. Please be sure to first check their respective Web sites before sending your request.
- Non-profit archives and repositories; Articles must be at least one year old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
- Personal and commercial Web sites; Articles must be at least three years old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
Please send all requests to:
Rights and Permissions Manager
Visual Arts Research
Manuscripts of approximately 4,500 words should be submitted electronically to the Visual Arts Research online manuscript submission system. This secure, personalized resource will allow you to track your manuscript through each step of the review and acceptance process. To begin, click on the link below to set up your personal account and upload your submission. Your transmitted material will be reviewed as soon as possible.
Make a new Manuscript Submission Upload account
Log into existing Manuscript Submission Upload account
READ BEFORE SUBMITTING: Submissions should follow the recommendations of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, 7th edition, 2021. Accompanying tables, figures, images, or illustrations should appear at the end of each manuscript, and must be submitted in accordance with APA guidelines (click here to download).
This journal utilizes a double-blinded review process in which all manuscripts are blind reviewed by members of the Visual Arts Research Editorial Board. Figures, images, or illustrations accompanying final accepted manuscripts must be submitted as separate electronic files, properly labeled, formatted as TIFF documents, 300 dpi, and sized in height and width dimensions approximate to how the writer wishes these materials to appear in the journal. Only high quality images or figures will be accepted. Images appearing in accepted manuscripts must comply with U.S. copyright laws. Writers will be asked to obtain permission for VAR to publish copyrighted photographs, illustrations, or images. Visual Arts Research will provide blank permission forms to authors, which must be returned prior to final acceptance.
Editor's Note: Queering Art Education
Courtnie N. Wolfgang
Part 1, Learning to Be Black: Unreconciled Strivings of DL and Black Gay Male Identity
Alphonso Walter Grant
Finding (One)self in Art Education: A Queer Conversation
Darden Bradshaw and Ria
Poster Queers: A Visual Analysis of an LGBTQ+ Film Festival
Jessica L. Huth
Big Gay Church VARchive: Decade One
James H. Sanders III, Mindi Rhoades, Kim Cosier and Courtnie N. Wolfgang
Queer Up! Application of Queer Representation in Art Education
Meng-Jung Yang and Kevin Hsieh
Redefining Controversy and Outness: Honest Queer Art Education in the South
The Personal Is Pedagogical: Manifesting Queerness in an Academic Department
Dana Carlisle Kletchka, Joni Boyd Acuff, Christine Ballengee Morris, James H. Sanders III and Shari Savage
Exploring the Implications of Melanie Yergeau's Neuroqueer for Art Education
Part 2, What It Means to Be Black: DL, Black, and Black Gay Male Images in Media—A Television Criticism
Alphonso Walter Grant