American Journal of Theology and Philosophy
Official journal of The Institute for American Religious and Philosophical Thought
The American Journal of Theology & Philosophy (AJTP) is a scholarly journal dedicated to the creative interchange of ideas between theologians and philosophers on some of the most critical intellectual and ethical issues of our time. The goal of the AJTP is to promote lively conversation among theologians and philosophers by providing a forum for discussions in the following areas: 1) the interface between theology and philosophy, especially as shaped by American empiricist, naturalist, process, and pragmatist traditions; 2) the development of liberal religious thought in America.
Exceptional scholars, such as Gordon Kaufman, John Cobb, Rosemary Radford Ruether, Holmes Rolston III, Robert Neville, Delwin Brown, Wentzel van Huyssteen, Richard Rorty, Nancy Frankenberry, William Dean, Richard Bernstein, Nancy Howell, Daniel Dombrowski, Edward Farley, Victor Anderson, and Linell Cady have challenged us to think in completely new ways about topics that include public theology and American culture, religion and science, ecological spirituality, feminist cosmology and ethics, problems in religious pluralism and inter-disciplinarity, process thought, metaphysical theology, postmodern thought, the viability of historical and contemporary concepts of God, American religious empiricism and pragmatism, creative democracy, and the nature and truth-value of religious language.
We have covered the American Journal of Theology & Philosophy as part of our podcast series, The UPside. Please check out our conversation with AJTP editor Gary Slater: Click Here
FRANCIS, Internationale Bibliographie der Rezensionen Geistes - und Sozialwissenschaftlicher Literatur, New Testament Abstracts, Periodicals Index Online, Philosopher's Index, ProQuest 5000 International, ProQuest Academic Research Library, ProQuest Central, ProQuest Humanities Module, ProQuest International Academic Research Library, ProQuest Newsstand Magazines, ProQuest Religion, Religion Index One: Periodicals, Religious & Theological Abstracts
Click here to subscribe.
|Print + Online||$45|
|Print + Online||$129*|
|*Institutional 'Online Only' and 'Print + Online' subscriptions must be purchased through the Scholarly Publishing Collective.|
Non-U.S. Postage: $10 Canada/Mexico, $35 Other Non-U.S. Locations
Single Issues: $33 Individuals, $44 Institutions
ONLINE + PRINT ADVERTISING
The print ad rates for all our titles can be found in the 2023 journals catalog/rate card.
PDFs are permitted and issued for the following:
- Tenure dossier.
- Special workshops the author is moderating.
- Other requests to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- All PDFs will include a statement of copyright and a provision that the articles will not be photocopied, distributed, or used for purposes other than the terms agreed to by UIP.
Preprints are permitted for:
- University repositories; UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the preprint.
- Some journals have their own established policies and procedures for preprints. Please be sure to first check their respective Web sites before sending your request.
Postprints are permitted for:
- Non-profit archives and repositories; Articles must be at least one year old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
- Personal and commercial Web sites; Articles must be at least three years old. UIP requires a publication statement to be posted along with the postprint and a link back to the journal of publication's home page on the UIP website.
Please contact the Rights and Permissions Manager for more information.
Please send all requests to:
Rights and Permissions Manager
American Journal of Theology & Philosophy
The goal of the American Journal of Theology and Philosophy is to promote lively conversation among theologians and philosophers by providing a forum for discussions in the following areas:
- The interface between theology and philosophy, especially as shaped by American empiricist, naturalist, process, and pragmatist traditions;
- The development of liberal religious thought in America.
Articles should be submitted electronically to the journal's online manuscript submission system. This secure, personalized resource will allow you to track your manuscript through each step of the review and acceptance process. To begin, click here to set up your personal account and upload your submission.
Manuscripts should be approximately 15 to 18 (and no longer than 25) double spaced pages. We follow the Chicago Manual of Style and use footnotes instead of endnotes. All papers are refereed using a peer-review system. Direct inquiries to editor Gary Slater at email@example.com.
Neo-Hegelian Theology as Process Theodicy and Socialist Idealism
Royce's The Problem of Christianity and Peirce's Epistemology
Richard Kenneth Atkins
The Neglected Lectures on Conversion and Saintliness in The Varieties of Religious Experience: William James's Search for Redemptive (Saving) Facts
Dan D. Crawford
Review: Explaining the Quantum of Explanation
David E. Conner
Deliberating on Dewey: A Pragmatic Response to Jeffrey Stout's Public Philosophy
Environmental Justice as Counterpublic Theology: Reflections for a Postpandemic Public
Andrew R. H. Thompson
The Reach of Empathy: William James's Metaphysics and the Environmental Crisis
Donald A. Crosby
Toward a Comprehensive Interpretation of Aesthetics
Walter B. Gulick